Propagation of Laser Generated Broadband Ultrasonic Pulses in a Thick Carbon Fibre Composite Plate
The use of laser generated ultrasound for the pulse-echo testing of carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) aerospace components is being established [1,2]. Our particular interest is in the possibility of using ultrasound propagating from the laser source along the component, as bulk or plate waves, as a means of testing a larger area for a single step in a scan. As part of an investigation into how laser generated pulses propagate in CFRP we have examined their propagation in a 40 ply, 5.5mm thick (300x300mm area) unidirectional plate. The plate was made from carbon fibre reinforced epoxy resin pre-preg (Enka Tenax HTA fibre; ICI 7716H epoxy resin). Plies were cut out by hand, laid up and then cured in a compression mould.
KeywordsSlow Wave Thick Plate Carbon Fibre Reinforce Polymer Wave Group Plate Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Monchalin, J-P., Aussel, J-D., Bouchard, P., Heon, R. Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE,Vol. 7A,edited by D.O.Thompson and D.E.Chimenti (Plenum Press,New York,1988) pl607Google Scholar
- 2.McKie, A.D.W., Addison, R.C., Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE,Vol. 11A,OP. cit.. p577 (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Castagnede, B., Sachse, W., Thompson, M.O., Proc. Ultrasonics International 89, (Butterworth- Heinemann,London, 1990 ), p71Google Scholar
- 4.Rose, J.L., Pilarski, A., Balasubramaniam, K., Tverdokhlebov, A., Ditri, J., New Directions in NDE of Advanced Materials,edited by J.L.Rose and A.A.Tseng (ASME, 1988 ), p63Google Scholar
- 5.Scudder, L.P., Hutchins, D.A., Proc. Ultrasonics International 91, (Butterworth-Heinemann,London, 1992 ) p575Google Scholar
- 6.Dean, G.D., Composites, Vol.20 No.6, (Nov. 1989), p575Google Scholar