Eddy Current Sensor Concepts for Interface Characterization during Bridgman Growth of CdZnTe Single Crystals
Hg1−xCdxTe Infrared (IR) focal plane arrays are today manufactured on IR transparent CdTe or (lattice matched) Cd1−yZnyTe substrates obtained from single crystals grown by a Bridgman method using furnaces with a temperature gradient[1–4]. The yield of single crystal substrate material produced by this method is poor, in part because of the absence of sensor techniques to characterize (and allow control of) the liquid-solid interface shape during crystal growth. This interface, which represents the melting point isotherm of the system, may be convex, ideally flat, or concave. It is determined by heat flow near the interface which is governed, in part, by where solidification occurs in the furnace.
KeywordsSkin Depth Focal Plane Array Interface Shape Secondary Coil Eddy Current Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.Pfeiffer and M.Muhlberg,J.Crystal Growth,118,269(1992).Google Scholar
- 2.W.R.Wilcox, F.M.Carlson, D.K.Aidun, V.White, W.Rosch, W.M.Chang, R.Shetty, A.Fritz, R.Balasubramanian, G.Rosen, J.Kweeder and C.Wen, Acta Astronautica, 25, 505(1991).Google Scholar
- 3.R.Shetty,R.Balasubramanian and W.R.Wilcox, J.Crystal Growth,100,51(1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Handbook on Semiconductors, Vol.4:Device Physics, Ed. C.Hilsum ( North- Holland, Amsterdam, 1981 ).Google Scholar
- 5.C.E.Chang and W.R.Wilcox, J.Crystal Growth, 21, 135(1974).Google Scholar
- 6.T.Fu and W.R.Wilcox, J.Crystal Growth,48,416(1980).Google Scholar
- 7.H.N.G.Wadley, K.P.Dharmasena and H.S.Goldberg, in Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 10B,1159(1991).Google Scholar
- 8.V.M.Glazov, S.N.Chizhevskaya, and N.N.Glagoleva, Liquid Semiconductors, Plenum Press (New York), 1969.Google Scholar