Optical Properties of New Materials
An overall picture of the scientific activity of the mexican community in the area of optical properties of solids is presented. The latest work in new materials is emphasized and the main achievements of the theoretical group of the Institute of Physics at the National University of Mexico (UNAM) are reported. These achievements are in the field of optical properties of inhomogeneous media and they comprise: the determination of the surface impedance of the surface region, a new optical spectroscopy based on surface-induced optical anisotropies and a theory for the calculation of the effective dielectric response in composite materials.
KeywordsDielectric Function Surface Impedance Filling Fraction Main Achievement Germanium Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Catàlogo de Programas y Recursos Humanos en Física (Catalogue of Programs and Human Resources in Physics). Published by the Mexican Physical Society, 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.M.A. Pérez-Angón, Bull. of the Mex. Phys. Soc. 51, 67 (1991).Google Scholar
- 7.W.L. Mochán and R.G. Barrera, J. de Physique, 45 Colloque C5, 207 (1984).Google Scholar
- 13.See for example Classical Electromagnetic Radiation by J.B. Marion (Academic Press, New York, 1965) p. 283.Google Scholar
- 16.J.C. Maxwell, A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism. Vol 1 (Reprint: Dover, New York, 1954) Sec. 314, p. 440.Google Scholar
- 17.See for example the historical review of Rolf Landauer on Electrical Transport and Optical Properties of Inhomogeneous Media, edited by J.C. Garland and D.B. Tanner (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1978), p. 2.Google Scholar
- 20.For a very complete account of the different procedures proposed, see for example: Electrical Transport and Optical Properties of Inhomogeneous Media. (AIP Conference Proceedings. Number 40). edited by J.C. Garland and D.B. Tanner (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1978); Electrodynamics of Interfaces and Composite Systems, Advanced Series in Surface Science. Vol 4. edited by R.G. Barrera and W.L. Mochán (World Scientific, Singapore, 1988); ETOPIM 2. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Electrical Transport and Optical Properties of Inhomogeneous Media, edited by J. Lafait and D.B. Tanner (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1989Google Scholar
- 26.R.G. Barrera, J. Giraldo, and W.L. Mochán, MRS Proceedings, 253 Boston (1991); Phys. Rev B, submitted (1992).Google Scholar