Diagnosis of Histoplasmosis — Review of Current Methods
Histoplasmosis is the most common endemic mycosis in the United States. Over 500,000 cases are diagnosed annually. Additionally, histoplasmosis is common in Latin America, the Caribbean Islands, parts of Asia, and Africa. Uncommonly cases are diagnosed in the United Kingdom and Europe. Histoplasmosis is an important opportunistic infection in patients with impaired cellular immunity, particularly in those with AIDS.
KeywordsSkin Test Serologic Test Antigen Level Antigen Detection Complement Fixation Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.J. Wheat, Histoplasmosis, Infect. Dis. Clin. NA.; 2 : 841 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.L.J. Wheat, P. Connolly-Stringfield, R.L. Baker, M.F. Curfman, M.E. Eads, K.S. Israel, S.A. Norris,D.H. Webb and M.L. Zeckel, Disseminated histoplasmosis in the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome: Clinical Findings, Diagnosis and Treatment, Medicine ; 69: 361 (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.L.J. Wheat, P. Connolly-Stringfield, B. Williams, K. Connolly, R. Blair, M. Bartlett and M. Durkin, Diagnosis of histoplasmosis in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome by detection of Histoplasma capsulatum polysaccharide antigen in bronco alveolar lavage fluid, Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. ; 145: 1421 (1992).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.L.J. Wheat, P. Connolly-Stringfield, R. Blair, K. Connolly, T. Garringer, B.P. Katz and M. Gupta, Effect of successful treatment with amphotericin B on Histoplasma capsulatum variety capsulatum polysaccharide antigen levels in patients with AIDS and histoplasmosis, Am. J. Med.; 92: 153 (1992).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.S.E. Zimmerman, P. Connolly-Stringfield, L.J. Wheat, M.L.V. French and R.B. Kohler, Comparison of Sandwich Solid Phase Radioimmunoassay and Two Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays for Detection of Histoplasma capsulatum Polysaccharide Antigen, J. Infect. Dis.; 160: 678 (1989).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar