WIN with OSI, the sequel: A Case Study of TETRA Digital Private Mobile Radio.
The increasing deployment of computer-networking services in fixed networks motivates the provision of similar services in wireless networks. In the case of PMR systems there are already several types of data communications service (MOBITEX, MPT1327, Motorola RD-LAP for example).
The first digital generation of PMR systems aspires to provide “open”, internationally standardised protocols to support data-communications. The implementation of these protocols in the wireless environment must interconnect with comparable protocols in fixed networks and give comparable performance, while optimising data transfer within the constraints of wireless media.
The objective of this paper is to examine how this could be attained in practice using the TETRA “Packet Data Optimised” (PDO) standard being developed by ETSI RES 6 specifically for this purpose.
A detailed performance analysis has been conducted of the proposed protocols and the physical channel under a range of variation of key operational parameters. The results are used as the basis for assessing the prospects of TETRA PDO for achieving its design targets in terms of performance and also in terms of compatibility of the TETRA network services with their equivalents in external networks.
KeywordsInternet Protocol Mobile Radio Reservation Scheme Slot Aloha European Telecommunication Standard Institute
- “TETRA… making the right connections.” ETSI November 1992.Google Scholar
- “Digital Revolution in Land Mobile Radio”, R Pinter, Communications Week International, 5th April 1993,pp62–65.Google Scholar
- “Technical Requirements Specification Part 2: Data Only Systems”, TETRA document 02.03, ETSI, 30 Sept 1992.Google Scholar
- “Common Air Interface Evaluation for Integrated Home Systems” P.Dugenie. MSc Thesis, Bristol, 17 Dec. 1992.Google Scholar
- “Protocol Design for Integrated Voice and Data Packet Radio Networks”, G.Madungwe, PhD Thesis, Bristol, Nov 1992.Google Scholar
- “Modulation”, TETRA document 05.04, ETSI, 20 Nov, 1992.Google Scholar
- “Radio Transmission and Reception”, TETRA document 05.05, ETSI, 20 Nov, 1992.Google Scholar
- “Digital Cellular System with Linear Modulation”, S.Ono, N.Kondoh, Y.Shimazaki, IEEE Conference on Vehicular Technology, 1989, pp44–49.Google Scholar
- “Differential Detection of Pi/4 shifted DQPSK for Digital Cellular Radio”, S.Chennakeshu, G.J.Saulnier, IEEE Conference on Vehicular Technology, 1991, pp186–191.Google Scholar
- “Digital Land Mobile Radio Communications”, COST 207 Final Report, Commission of the European Communities, Luxemburg, 1989.Google Scholar
- “RCPC Codes and Their Applications”, J.Haguenauer, IEEE-COM, April, 1988.Google Scholar
- “Simulation Results for Error Control (2/3 and 4/5 Rate Codes)”, ETSI document RES6.4(92)224.Google Scholar
- “A Packet Radio Network Using ISMA with Capture”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1989.Google Scholar