Coded MPSK Modulation for the AWGN and Rayleigh Fading Channels
This paper investigates two methods of constructing bandwidth efficient MPSK modulation codes for the AWGN and Rayleigh fading channels. The first method is the multilevel coding method devised by Imai and Hirakawa. The multilevel coding method is a powerful technique for constructing bandwidth efficient modulation codes systematically with arbitrarily large distance parameters from Hamming distance component (block or convolutional) codes in conjunction with proper bits-to-signal mapping through signal set partitioning. Particularly, it provides the flexibility to coordinate the distance parameters of a code such that the best performance for a given channel can be attained. Furthermore, the multilevel modulation codes constructed by this method allow the use of multistage decoding procedures that provide good trade-offs between performance and decoding complexity. The second method is to construct TCM codes using convolutional codes with good free branch distance in conjunction with the multilevel coding technique.
Some good MPSK modulation codes for both the AWGN and Rayleigh fading channels are constructed and their error performances are given.
KeywordsRayleigh Fading Channel Convolutional Code Modulation Code Branch Distance Decode Complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Imai and S. Hirakawa, “A New Multilevel Coding Method Using Error Correcting Codes,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. IT-23, No. 3, 1977.Google Scholar
- E. Biglieri, D. Divsalar, P.J. McLane, and M.K. Simon, Introduction to Trellis-Coded Modulation with Applications, Macmillan, 1991.Google Scholar
- J. Wu and S. Lin, “Multilevel Trellis MPSK Modulation Codes for the Rayleigh Fading Channel,” IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 41, No. 9, 1993.Google Scholar
- T. Kasami, T. Takata, T. Fujiwara, and S. Lin, “On Multi-Level Block Modulation Codes,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. IT-37, No. 4, 1991.Google Scholar
- T. Takata, S. Ujita, T. Kasami and S. Lin, “Multistage Decoding of Multilevel Block MPSK Modulation Codes and Its Performance Analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1993.Google Scholar
- G. D. Forney, Jr., “Coset Codes II: Binary Lattices and Related Codes,” IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, Vol. IT-34, pp. 1152–1187, September 1988, Part II.Google Scholar
- T. Kasami, T. Takata, T. Fujiwara and S. Lin“On Structural Complexity of the L-Section Minimal Trellis Diagrams for Binary Linear Block Codes” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, 1993.Google Scholar
- B. Vucetic, “Bandwidth Efficient Concatenated Coding Schemes for Fading Channels,” IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 41, No. 1, 1993.Google Scholar