Rabi Oscillations Described By de Broglian Probabilities
Superposition principle, as one of the basic principles in quantum mechanics, is essential for numerous quantum phenomena: interference, quantum beats, quantum interference, wave packets, fluorescence, Rabi oscillations, spin echo, superposition of spin states etc. In all those cases a wave function of a quanton is a superposition of two or more eigenstates. Characteristic features of those phenomena are determined by relative phases of different components in the above superposition. But, the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics avoids to attribute physical meaning to phases as well as to relative phases of wave functions. As a consequence, attempts to physically explain and understand those phenomena often encounter paradoxes, difficulties and inconsistencies discussed for example by Feynman1 and Ballentine2 in the case of interference, by Klein et al.3 and Kaiser et al.4 in connection with wave packets, by Wigner5 in connection with spin state superposition, by Schrödinger6 and Brewer and Schenzle7 in relation to fluorescence, etc.
KeywordsWave Function Wave Packet Quantum Interference Rabi Frequency Schrodinger Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.P. Feynman, R.B. Leighton and M. Sands, “The Feynman Lectures on Physics,” Addison Wesley, Reading (1964)Google Scholar
- 7.R.G. Brewer and A. Schenzle, Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. Foundations of Quantum Mechanics,Tokyo, 257 (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.L. de Broglie, “Etude Critiques des Bases de l’lnterpretation Actuelle de la Mecanique Ondula-toire,” Gauthier-Villars, Paris(1963)Google Scholar
- 9.E. Schrödinger, Fndeavour. 9:109 (1950)Google Scholar
- 10.J.P. Vigier, Physica B151:386 (1988)Google Scholar
- 14.M. Božić, Compatible statistical interpretation of interference in double-slit interferometer, in: “Waves and Particles in Light and Matter,” A. van der Merwe and A. Garuccio, eds., Plenum, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.M. Božić and Z. Marić, Probability and interference, to be published in Courants, amers etécueils en microphysique, G. Lochac, edGoogle Scholar
- 16.M. Božić and Z. Marić, to be published in Found. Phys. Google Scholar
- 18.L. Allen and J.H. Eberly, “Optical Resonance and Two-level Atoms,” Dover, New York (1987)Google Scholar