Endogenous Synthesis of Oxalate in Magnesium Deficient Weanling Rats
Magnesium is a risk factor in urolithiasis. Studies have demonstrated the depressive effect of magnesium on endogenous oxalic acid formation1. Hypomagnesuria is a very common finding amongst stone formers2. A subclinical magnesium deficiency has been reported amongst general population from affluent countries, as the dietary intake of magnesium from the prepared meals is far below the recommended dietary allowance3. Although several experimental studies have shown a positive relationship between dietary and urinary magnesium and stone formation, the detailed biochemical mechanisms underlying magnesium deficiency has not been worked out. Therefore, the present study was carried out to clearly elucidate the effect of magnesium deficiency on endogenous synthesis of oxalate in liver as well as kidney in male weanling rats.
KeywordsMagnesium Lactate Glycolate Adduct Pyruvate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D Wangoo, V Rattan, SK Thind, GS Gupta and R Nath, Orcadian rhythmicity in the urinary excretion of metallic ions (Mg, Cu, Fe and Zn) amongst stone formers (SF) and non-stone formers (NSF) in North-Western India (Abstract), Magnesium Res 4: 211 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.M Abdulla and F Reis, How adequate is the dietary intake of magnesium from a global point of view? (Abstract), Magnesium Res 4: 248 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.V Rattan, D Wangoo, HK Koul and SK Thind, Urinary excretion of lithogens and inhibitory activity towards calcium oxalate monohydrate crystallization in vitamin A deficient rats, in: “Urolithiasis Research,” R Nath and SK Thind, ed, Ashish Publishers, New Delhi, India (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.EE Dekker and SC Gupta, Oxidation of L-2 keto-4hydroxyglutarate to malyl-CoA by α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase and its role in a pyruvate catalyzed glyoxylate oxidation cycle (Abstract), Fed Proc 38: 2339 (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.A Adinolfi, S Oilezza and A Ruffo, Inhibition of oxoglutarate dehydrogenase by glyoxylate and its condensation compounds, J Biochem 104: 50p (1967).Google Scholar
- 14.FW Heaton and JP Elie, Metabolic activity of liver mitochondria from magnesium-deficient rats, Magnesium Exp Clin Res 3: 21 (1984).Google Scholar