Evaluation of the Child with Extremity Pain or Limp
The child presenting to the physician with a limp or extremity pain is usually accompanied by anxious parents who are concerned not only about the cause but also about the permanency of the problem. Evaluation is often challenging since younger children cannot communicate verbally about their pain and may have trouble localizing it for the examiner. It is the physician’s task to solve the mystery by accumulating as many clues as possible and analyzing them correctly.
KeywordsArthritis Osteoporosis Leukemia Influenza Aspirin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Chapter 2. References
- Cassidy, J. T, and Petty, R. E., 1990, Textbook of Pediatric Rheumatology ,2nd ed., Churchill Livingstone,Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Crawford, A. H., Kucharzyk, D. W., Ruda, R., and Smitherman, H. C., 1991, Diskitis in children, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 266:70.Google Scholar
- Jackson, M. A., and Nelson, J. D., 1982, Etiology and management of acute suppurative bone and joint infections in pediatric patients, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2:315.Google Scholar
- Morrissy, R. T., 1990, Slipped capital femoral epiphysis, in: Lovell and Winter’s Pediatric Orthopaedics ,3rd ed. (R. T. Morrissy, ed.), Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp. 885–904.Google Scholar
- Ozonoff, M. B., 1992, Pediatric Orthopedic Radiology ,2nd ed., Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Springfield, D. S., 1990, Bone and soft tissue tumors, in: Lovell and Winter’s Pediatric Orthopaedics ,3rd ed.(R. T. Morrissy, ed.), Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp. 325–364.Google Scholar
- Wallendal, M., Stork, L., and Hollister, J. R., 1992, The discriminating value of serum LDH values in children with malignancy presenting as limb pain. 56th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology S56.Google Scholar
- Weinstein, S. L., 1990, Legg-Calve-Perthes disease, in: Lovell and Winter’s Pediatric Orthopaedics ,3rd ed.(R. T. Morrissy, ed.), Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp. 851–884.Google Scholar
- Wenger, D. R, and Rang, M., 1993, The Art and Practice of Children’s Orthopaedics ,Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar