Effects of 5-Hydroxytryptamine Inhibition on Gas Exchange and Pulmonary Hemodynamics in Acute Canine Pulmonary Embolism
5-Hydroxytryptamine (Serotonin; 5-HT), a potent vasoconstrictor of pulmonary arteries, has been reported to play an important role in cardiopulmonary dysfunction that accompanies pulmonary embolization (Huval et al.,1983). The quantitative effects of 5-HT on gas exchange efficiency, however, have not been systematically investigated in pulmonary embolism. Using a new type of selective serotonin receptor antagonist, we examined the distribution of ventilation-perfusion (VA/Q) ratios and pulmonary hemodynamics to clarify the effects of serotonin on gas exchange in acute canine pulmonary embolism.
KeywordsPulmonary Vascular Resistance Dead Space Pulmonary Arterial Pressure Extravascular Lung Water Lung Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caldini, P., 1965, Pulmonary hemodynamics and arterial oxygen saturation in pulmonary emboli, J.Appl.Physiol. 20: 184–190.Google Scholar
- Cheney, F., Paulin, J., and Ferene, B.S., 1973, Effect of pulmonary microembolism on arteriovenous shunt flow, J.Thorac.Cardiovasc.Surg. 4: 473–477.Google Scholar
- Ishibe, Y.,Suekane, K., Nakamura, M., Izumi, T., Umeda, T., Sagawa, Y., Satoh, K., and Oh, M., 1987, Measurement of lung water with double indicator dilution method using heat and sodium ions in dogs, Jap.Anesth.J.Rev. 2:5–7.Google Scholar
- Levy S.E., Simmons, D.H., 1971, Serotonin pulmonary hypertension and airway constriction in the anesthetized dog, Pro. Sci. Exp.Biol.Med. 138:365–368.Google Scholar
- Thomas, D.P.,and Gurewich, V., 1966, Role of platelets in sudden death induced by experimental pulmonary emboli, Circulation 22: 207–209.Google Scholar
- Thomas, D.P., Gurewich, V., and Ashford T.P., 1966, Platelet adherence to thromboembolism, N. Engl. J. Med. 274: 952–958Google Scholar
- Wagner, P.D., Saltzman, H.A., and West, J.B., 1974 Measurement of continuous distribution of ventilation-perfusion ratios: Theory, J.Appl.Physiol. 36:588–599.Google Scholar