Proinflammatory Role of Leukocyte Adhesion Molecules
The adhesive interaction between circulating leukocytes and the vessel wall is a critical event in host defense against microbial invasion and in the repair of tissue damage. Altered leukocyte-endothelial interactions, however, may sometimes contribute to the pathogenesis of vascular and tissue injury in inflammatory and immune disorders. This chapter will briefly summarize our current understanding of the molecular basis of leukocyte adherence to endothelium in inflammatory and immune reactions and discuss anti-adhesion therapy as a novel approach to the treatment of a wide spectrum of clinical disorders.
KeywordsLeukocyte Adherence Adhesive Interaction Leukocyte Adhesion Molecule Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency Aspiration Pneumonitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atherton, A. and Born, G.V.R., 1973, Relationship between the velocity of rolling granulocytes and that of the blood flow in ventiles. J. Physiol. 157–165.Google Scholar
- Diener, A.M., Beatty, P.G., Ochs, H.D. and Harlan, J.M., 1985, The role of neutrophil membrane glycoprotein 150(GP-150) in neutrophil-mediated endothelial cell injury in vitro. J. Immunol. 135:537–543.Google Scholar
- Figdor, C.G. and van Kooyk, Y., 1992, Regulation of cell adhesion In: Harlan, J.M. and Liu, E. (eds); Adhesion: Its role in inflammatory disease. W.H. Freeman & Co., New York 151–182.Google Scholar
- Gundel, R.H., Wegner, C.D., Torcellini, C.A., Clarke, C.C., Haynes N., Rothlein, R., Smith, W. and Letts, L.G., 1991, Endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 mediates antigen-induced acute airway inflammation and late-phase airway obstruction in monkeys. J. Clin. Invest. 88:1407–1411.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Harlan, J.M., Winn, R.K., Vedder, N.B., Doerschuk, C.M. and Rice, C.L., 1992, In vivo models of leukocyte adherence to endothelium, In: Harlan, J.M. and Liu, E., (eds); Adhesion: Its role in inflammatory disease. W.H. Freeman & Co., New York 151–1826.Google Scholar
- Hutchings, P., Rosen, H., O’Reilly, L., Simpson, E., Siamon, G. and Cook, A., 1990, Transfer of diab etes in mice prevented by blockage of adhesion-promoting receptor on macrophages. Nature 346:636–642.Google Scholar
- Ley, K., Gaehtgens, P., Fennie, C., Singer, M.S., Lasky, L.A. and Rosen, S.D., 1991, Lectin-like cell adhesion molecule 1 mediates leukocyte rolling in mesenteric venules in vivo. Blood 77:2553–2555.Google Scholar
- Lorant, D.E., Patel, K.D., McIntyre, T.M., McEver, R.P., Prescott, S.M. and Simmerman, G.A., 1991, co-expression of GMP’-140 and PAF by endothelium stimulated by histamine or thrombin: A juxacrine system for adhesion and activation of neutrophils. J. Cell Biol. 115:223–234.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saez-Llorens, X., Jafari, H.S., Severien, C., Parras, F., Olsen, K.D., Hansen, E.J., Singer, I.I. and McCracken, G.H., Jr., 1991, Enhanced attenuation of meningeal inflammation and brain edema by concomitant administration of anti-CD18 monoclonal antibodies and dexamethasone in experimental Haemophilus meningitis. J. Clin. Invest. 88:2003–2011.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smith, C.W., Marlin, S.D., Rothlein, R., Toman, C. and Anderson, D.C., 1989, Cooperative interac tions of LFA-1 and Mac-1 with intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in facilitating adherence and transendothelial migration of human neutrophils in vivo. J. Clin. Invest. 83:2008–2107.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tuomanen, E.I., Saukkonen, K., Sande, S., Cioffe, C. and Wright, S.D., 1989, Reduction of inflammation, tissue damage, and mortality in bacterial meningitis in rabbit treated with monoclonal antibodies against adhesion-promoting receptors of leukocytes. J. Exp. Med. 170:959–968.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- von Adrian, U.H., Chambers, J.D., McEvoy, L.M., Bargatze, R.F., Arfors, K.E. and Butcher, E.C., 1991, Two-step model of leukocyte-endothelial cell interaction in inflammation: Distinct roles for LECAM-1 and the leukocyte beta-2 integrins in vivo. Proc. Nad. Acad. Sci. USA 88:7538–754.CrossRefGoogle Scholar