This chapter deals with two distinct types of central sorting: sorting of mixed recyclables at a materials recovery facility (MRF) and the sorting of mixed waste to produce refuse-derived fuel (RDF). The stages of each sorting process are described, as are the waste inputs and the outputs in terms of both products and residues. Available data are presented on the typical energy consumption of the two sorting operations. Economic data,both processing costs and revenues from the sale of recovered materials, are included where possible. The central sorting module of the lifecycle inventory model for solid waste is presented and explained.
KeywordsWaste Management System Mixed Waste Refuse Derive Fuel Recovered Material Waste Input
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barton, J.R., Poll, A.J., Webb, M. and Whalley, L. (1985) Waste Sorting and RDF Production in Europe. Elsevier Applied Science, London.Google Scholar
- Berndt, D. and Thiele, M. (1993) Status des Dualen Systems and seine Kosten. VerpackungsRundschau, October 1993, pp. 84–88.Google Scholar
- Birley, D. (1993) Does the Blue Box have a future? Warmer Bull. 35,10–12.Google Scholar
- ETSU (1992) Production and combustion of c-RDF for on-site power generation. Energy Technology Support Unit report no. B 1374, by Aspinwall and Company Ltd. Published by the Department of Trade and Industry, 32 pp.Google Scholar
- ETSU (1993) Assessment of d-RDF processing costs. Energy Technology Support Unit report no B 1314, by Aspinwall and Company Ltd. Published by the Department of Trade and Industry, 63 pp.Google Scholar
- IGD (1992) Sustainable waste management: the Adur project. Report by the Institute for Grocery Distribution, Letchmore Heath, Watford, UK, 85 pp.Google Scholar
- Kerbside Dublin (1993) Kerbside Dublin, one year on. Report of Kerbside Dublin, Unit 8, Cookstown Industrial Estate, Dublin 24, 16 pp.Google Scholar
- Magnetic Separation Systems, Plastic bottle sorting. Literature from Magnetic Separation Systems Inc., 624 Grassmere Pk. Dr., Nashville TN 37211, USA.Google Scholar
- Newell Engineering (1993) Black Magic non-ferrrous separator. Literature from Newell Engineering Ltd., Burnt Meadows Rd., North Moons Moat, Redditch, Worcs, UK.Google Scholar
- NSWMA (1992) Processing costs for residential recyclables at materials recovery facilities.National Solid Wastes Management Association, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Warmer (1993) Refuse-derived fuel. Warmer Information Sheet, Warmer Bulletin 39.Google Scholar