Adsorption of Metal Ions from Aqueous Solutions: Model Development
The development of a comprehensive description of metal ion adsorption from aqueous solutions at equilibrium and non-equilibrium conditions, based on the principles of surface complexation models, is presented. This presentation begins with the various surface complexation models, previously developed to describe adsorption equilibrium, and then further develops the models for the prediction of adsorption rates.
KeywordsZinc Clay Porosity Nickel Hydrolysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bold, G. H. and W. H.Van Riemsdijk, Ion adsorption on inorganic variable charge constituents, Chapter 13, Soil Chemistry B. Physico-chemical Models, G. H. Bolt, ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1982.Google Scholar
- Corapsioglu, M. O., The removal of heavy metals by activated carbon process from water and wastewater, Copper(II), Lead(II), Nickel(II) and Zinc(II), Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 1984.Google Scholar
- Dzombak, D. A. and F. M. M. Morel, Surface Complexation Modeling-Hydrous Ferric Oxide, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1990.Google Scholar
- Healy, T. W. and L. R. White, Ionizable surface group models of aqueous interfaces, Advan. Colloid Interface Sci., 304–345, 1978.Google Scholar
- Helfferich, F. G., Ion exchange kinetics-evolution of a theory, Mass Transfer and Kinetics of Ion Exchange, L. Liberti and F. G. Helfferich, eds., Martinus Nijhoff, Boston, 1983.Google Scholar
- Huang, C. P. and F. B. Ostovic, Removal of Cd(II) by activated carbon adsorption, J. Environmental Engineering, 104, 863–878, 1978.Google Scholar
- Newman, J. S., Electrochemical Systems, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1973.Google Scholar
- Stumm, W., H. Hohl, and F. Dalang, Interaction of metal ions with hydrous oxide surfaces, F. Croat. Chem. Acta, 48, 491–504, 1976.Google Scholar
- Stumm, W., C. P. Huang, and S. R. Jenkins, Specific chemical interactions affecting the stability of dispersed systems, Croat. Chem. Acta, 42, 223–244, 1970.Google Scholar
- Tien, C., Adsorption Calculations and Modeling, Butterworth-Heinemann, Newton, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- Yao, C., A study of a few problems in adsorption, Ph.D. Dissertation, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 1991.Google Scholar