Fundamental principles of microbiology
Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms and their activities; within this orbit is the study of the distribution of the organisms, their characteristics, and their beneficial and harmful effects, especially in relation to the changes they make in their environment of which food is one particular example. These small living organisms or microorganisms as they are called are capable of individual existence and are not aggregated into tissues or organs as in higher plants and animals.
KeywordsFood Poisoning Faecal Coliform Food Spoilage Polar Flagellum Food Hygiene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexopoulos,C.J. and Mims, C.W. (1979). Introductory Mycology 3rd edn, New York,Wiley.Google Scholar
- Hawksworth,D.L., Sutton, B.C. and Ainsworth, G.C. (1983). Dictionary of the Fungi 7thedn, Kew, Commonwealth Mycological Institute.Google Scholar
- Pelczar,M.J., Chan, E.C.S. and Krieg, N.R. (1986). Microbiology 5thedn, New York, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Samson, R.A. and vanReenen-Hoekstra, E .S. (1988). Introduction to Food Borne Fungi 3rdedn, Baarn, Centraallbureau voor Schimmelcultures.Google Scholar
- Stanier,R.Y., Ingraham, J.L., Wheelis, M.L. and Painter, P.R. (1986). The MicrobialWorld 5th edn, London, Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Beuchat, L.R. (1983). Influence of wateractivity on growth, metabolic activities and survival of yeasts andmoulds. Journal of Food Protection 46, 135–41.Google Scholar
- Ingraham, J.L. (1958). Growth ofpsychrophilic bacteria. Journal of Bacteriology 76, 75–80.Google Scholar
- Krieg,N.R.and Holt, J.G. (1984). Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology Vol.1. Baltimore,Williams& Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Pitt, J.I. and Hocking, A.D. (1985). Fungiand Food Spoilage Sydney, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Sneath, P.H.A., Mair, N.S., Sharpe, M.E. and Holt, J.G. (1986). Bergey’sManual of Systematic BacteriologyVol.2. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Sperber, W.H. (1983).Influence of water activity on foodborne bacteria - a review. Journal ofFood Protection46,142–50.Google Scholar