Elastic Wave Propagation and Scattering in Austenitic Steel
Ultrasonic nondestructive testing of austenitic steel welds is very difficult, because fundamental wave propagation and scattering effects in such complicated anisotropic environments are only hardly understood [1, 2]. Therefore, a step-by-step evaluation of elastic wave propagation in transversely isotropic media has been initiated. Under the assumption of transverse isotropy the numerical EFIT code (Elastodynamic Finite Integration Technique)  -  was extended to anisotropic homogeneous media. It allows 3D computation of quasi pressure and quasi shear as well as surface waves in transverse isotropic media. Results for finite aperture transducer radiation and crack scattering in a single crystal austenitic weld are presented; measurements of amplitude dynamics, A-Scans and C-Scans confirm the EFIT simulations .
KeywordsElastic Wave Propagation Corner Reflection Acoustical Axis Surface Breaking Crack Discrete Time Instant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. A. Ogilvy: Ultrasonics, Vol. 24, November 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.D. S. Kupperman, K. J. Reimann, J. Abrego-Lopez: NDT International, Vol. 20 Number 3, June 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Fellinger: Ph. D. Thesis, University of Kassel, Germany 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Fellinger, R. Marklein, K. J. Langenberg, S. Klaholz: Numerical Modeling of Elastic Wave Propagation and Scattering with EFIT, to appear in Wave Motion 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Marklein, R. Bärmann, K. J. Langenberg: The Ultrasonic Modeling Code EFIT as Applied to Inhomogeneous Dissipative Isotropic and Anisotropic Media, QNDE 1994, in these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Rudolph, K. J. Langenberg, D. E. Chimenti: Numerical Modeling of Air-Coupled Ultrasound with the Elastodynamic Finite Integration Technique, QNDE 1994, in these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 7.Ch. Hofmann: Master Thesis, University of Kassel, Germany 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.F. Walte, M. Spies, Ch. Schurig, K. J. Langenberg: Messungen von Schallfeldern an austenitischen Testkorpern und Modellierung unter der Annahme transversaler Isotropie, to appear in the Proceedings of the DGZfP-Jahrestagung 1994, DGZfP, Berlin 1994.Google Scholar