Enhancements and Extensions to OSEE Contamination Inspection
Optically Stimulated Electron Emission (OSEE) is a non-contacting method found to be very sensitive to some contaminants on metal surfaces. It has been developed in the aerospace community as an inspection tool for verifying cleanliness of surfaces prior to bonding. Issues of stability and long term variability in commercially available OSEE instruments motivated an effort. at NASA Langley Research Center to improve the technology. This effort has gone through three stages: a science base study, development of an improved instrument for rocket motor inspection, and application of OSEE to a wider class of inspections.
KeywordsMercury Attenuation Argon Coherence Production Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Smith, NASA Tech Briefs, p. 307-308, (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.T. Smith, US Patent No. 4, 590, 376 (20 May 1986).Google Scholar
- 3.C. Welch, M. Abedin and W. Yost, in Review of Progress in QNDE, Vol. 11, eds. D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti (Plenum, New York, 1992), p. 2155.Google Scholar
- 4.L.B. Loeb, Basic Processes of Gaseous Electronics, (University of California Press, 1955), p. 607.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Welch, “OSEE Development Status,” Surface Contamination Analysis Technical Interchange Meeting, Huntsville, AL, 1992, p 320.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Whimpey, TWR-18229, (Morton Thiokol Space Division, 1988), 23pp.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Grahm, Conoco Corporation, Ponca City, OK. (pers. comm.).Google Scholar
- 8.D. Perey W. Yost, D. Perey, F. Stone, E. Scales, E. Gasser, E. Joe, T. Goodman, X. Pascual, W. Hefner and J. Bly, “Design and performance considerations for the third generation OSEE probe and associated electronics,” Proceedings of the Aerospace Environmental Technology Conference, Huntsville, AL, 1994, (in press).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Welch, W. Yost, S. Gasser, E. Joe, D. Perey, E. Scales, J. Bly, T. Goodman, W. Hefner, X. Pascual, F. Stone, C. Kennedy and B. Batten, “OSEE Instrument: Design and Construction,” Technical Interchange Meeting, Huntsville, AL, 1993(unpublisheid).Google Scholar
- 10.C. Welch, U. Ray, B. Stallard, R. Watkins, M. Koch and M. Moya, in Int Conf on Solder Fluxes and Pastes (Inst. for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits, Lincolnwood, IL, 1994). p 1080-1081.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Welch, in Proceedings of the Technical Program, Surface Mount International (Inst. for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits, Lincolnwood, IL, 1994), p375.Google Scholar