Dynamic Evolution of an Elastic Beam in Frictional Contact with an Obstacle
Problems involving contact and friction phenomena have received a great deal of attention in recent years and by now there is a considerable body of engineering literature devoted to this subject. In contrast, there are relatively few general mathematical results available in this area, due to the substantial difficulties encountered in establishing existence results for initial-boundary value problems that model these phenomena. Moreover, in both cases, most of the existing literature deals with static situations, or, occasionally, with a sequence of static problems, which arise from the time discretization of an evolution problem. Modeling and mathematical analysis of such problems can be found in Duvaut and Lions [DL], Moreau et al. [MPS], Kikuchi and Oden [KO], and Telega [Tel], and the references therein (see also Curnier [Cu]). There are, however, some recent results on quasistatic and dynamic behavior in Andersson [An], Telega [Te2], Klarbring et al. [KMS2] and Oden and Martins [OM].
KeywordsContact Problem Frictional Contact Normal Compliance Mathematical Difficulty Frictional Contact Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ASW].Kevin T. Andrews, M. Shillor, and S. Wright, On the dynamic vibrations of an elastic beam in frictional contact with a rigid obstacle, preprint.Google Scholar
- [G].F. Gastaldi, Remarks on a noncoercive contact problem with friction in elastostatics, IAN Publication 650 (1988).Google Scholar
- [KT].A. Klarbring and B. Torstenfelt, A Newton method for contact problems with friction and interface compliance, preprint.Google Scholar
- [KS].K. Kuttler and M. Shillor, A dynamic contact problem in one-dimensional thermoviscoelasticity, preprint.Google Scholar
- [LSU].O. A. Ladyzenskaja, V. A. Solonnikov and N. N. Uralceva, Linear and Quasilinear Equations of Parabolic Type, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1968.Google Scholar
- [LM].J. L. Lions and E. Magenes, Nonhomogeneous Boundary Value Problems and Applications, Vol. I&II, Springer, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- [Tel].J.J. Telega, Topics on Unilateral Contact Problems of Elasticity and Inelastisity, preprint.Google Scholar