Solubility Measurement of Sodium Iodide in Sodium — Stainless Steel Systems
It is highly important in the safety assessment of fast reactors that fission products released from ruptured fuel elements are to be retained in the sodium coolant. Radiological consequences of iodine isotopes are so significant that experimental and theoretical efforts have been put forward for obtaining a better understanding of iodine behavior in the sodium system [1–8]. Any iodide or free iodine released into the sodium is known to be converted to sodium iodide, and its behaviour in the sodium system is essentially controlled by the iodide solubility in sodium. The solubility was measured by Bredig [9,10] at temperatures between 550 – 900 °C and by Allan  between 250 – 400 °C, as shown in Fig. 1.
KeywordsNickel Furnace Convection Argon Manganese
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. P. Kunkel, Report NAA-SR-11766 (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.A. W. Castleman and I. N. Tang, Nucl. Sci. Eng., 29 (1967) 159–164.Google Scholar
- 4.W. P. Kunkel, B. D. Pollock, J. Guon, G. B. Zwetzig, M. Silberberg, and S. Berger, Report AI-AEC-12687 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.G. W. Kieholtz and G. C. Battle, Report ORNL-NSIC-37 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.A. W. Castleman, Nucl. Safety, 11 (1970) 379–390.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Feuerstein, A. J. Hooper and F. A. Johnson, Atomic Energy Review, 17 (1979) 697–761.Google Scholar
- 8.A. W. Thorley, Proc. of IAEA Specialist’s Mtg. on Fission and Corrosion Products Behavior in Primary Circuits of LMFBR’s, Report KfK-4279 (1987) 433-468.Google Scholar
- 11.C. G. Allan, Proc. of BNES Conf. on Liquid Alkali Metals, Nottingham (1973) 159–164.Google Scholar
- 14.N. Jordan, Proc. of IAEA Specialist’s Mtg. on Sodium Fires and Prevention (1978) 208-210.Google Scholar
- 16.R. M. Singer, A. H. Fleitman, J. R. Weeks and H. S. Isaacs, Corrosion by Liquid Metals, Plenum Press (1970) 561-576.Google Scholar
- 17.W. P. Stanaway and R. Tompson, Proc. of 2nd Int. Conf. on Liquid Met. Eng. and Tech., CONF 800401-P2 (1980) 18.54-18.61.Google Scholar
- 18.C. R. Pellet and R. Tompson, Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. on Liquid Met. Eng. and Tech., Vol. 3 (1984) 43–48.Google Scholar