The Interdependence of Lymphocyte, Stromal Cell, and Follicular Dendritic Cell Maturation
If asked to pick a cell type as a biological metaphor for an independent free-spirited entity, many biologists might pick the lymphocyte. Unlike most other cell types in the body, lymphocytes can and must be able to move about the body, a dynamic circulating surveillance system. The fast-moving lymphocyte- on the go- has been an obvious center of attention for decades now; where lymphocytes go, what they do, what they need in order to live and function are major issues for immunologists. By contrast, attached, relatively sessile cells seem to have fewer options, be less dynamic, less flexible, less interesting. One widely held assumption has been that those cells coming in contact with lymphocytes, by-in-large play nurturing or minor roles, hence the term “accessory” cell, accessory being defined in one dictionary as “aiding or contributing in a secondary way”. They are viewed as “aides”, even valets or butlers, for “executive” lymphocytes such as CD4+ T cells which have the really important jobs.
KeywordsDendritic Cell Stromal Cell Germinal Center Bone Marrow Stromal Cell Follicular Dendritic Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.F.G.M. Kroese, A.S. Wubbena, and P. Nieuwenhuis, Germinal centre formation and follicular antigen trapping in the spleen of lethally X- irradiated and reconstituted rats, Immunol 57:99 (1986).Google Scholar
- 13.E.A. Clark, K.H. Grabstein, A.M. Gown, B. Hess, M. Skelly, T. Kaisho, T. Hirano, and G.L. Shu, Activation of B lymphocyte maturation by a human follicular dendritic cell line, FDC-1, submitted (1994).Google Scholar
- 17.H.-S. Kim, X. Zhang, and Y.S. Choi, Activation and proliferation of follicular dendritic-like cells by activated T lymphocytes, J. Immunol ,in press, (1994).Google Scholar
- 20.B.N. Dittel, J.B. McCarthy, E.A. Wayner, and T.W. LeBien, Regulation of human B-cell precursor adhesion to bone marrow stromal cells by cytokines that exert opposing effects on the expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1), Blood 81:2272.Google Scholar
- 26.H. Tabrizchi, M.L. Hansman, M.R. Parwaresch, and K. Lennert, Follicular dendritic cells in low grade B-cell lymphomas of the gastrointestinal tract immunostained by Ki-FDClp: a new parafin-resistant monoclonal antibody, Modern Path. 3:470 (1990).Google Scholar