Waveform Tomography for Two Parameters in Elastic Media Applied to Cross-Well Geophysics
In this paper, we developed one waveform tomography method for P velocity and density inversion in elastic media. Starting from the elastic wave equation, we derived one P wave equation which includes the scattered terms of P-wave to P-wave conversion and S-wave to P-wave conversion. By discretizing the scattering integral equation corresponding to this equation directly, we can obtain one equation corresponding to each point on the waveform. The result of this formulation is a very large system of algebraic equations that is solved using ART and SIRT. The results of computational simulation applied to cross-hole geometry show that our method is valid when the velocity and density perturbation is not very large. Next we will extend this method to heterogeneous media and apply it to real field data.
KeywordsRayleigh Wave Elastic Medium Born Approximation Density Inversion Elastic Wave Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, J.C. and Y. Wei, Inversion of two-dimensional elastic wave equation with two-variables within Born approximation, Apllied Sciencese(China),1988.Google Scholar
- Harris, J. M. and G. Wang, Diffraction tomography for inhomogeneities in a layered background medium, Sixty-Third Annual Meeting and International Exposition of Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Expanded Abstracts, 49–52, 1993.Google Scholar
- Miller, D., M. Oristaglio, and G. Beylkin, A new slant on seismic imaging: Migration and integral geometry, Geophysics, 57,7, 943–946, 1984.Google Scholar
- Mora, P., Elastic wavefield inversion and adjoin operator for the elastic wave equation, in: Mathematical Geophysics, p. 117–137, Edited by N. J. Valaar, G. Nolet, MJ.R. Wortel & S.A.P.L. Cloetingh, 1988 by P. Reidel Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Tarantola, A., 1984, The seismic reflection inverse, problem, Inverse Problems of Acoustic and Elastic waves, edited by F. Santosa, Y.H.Dao, W.Symes and Ch. Holland, SIAM, Philadelplia.Google Scholar