Mutations Associated with Viral Sequences Isolated from Mice Persistently Infected with MHV-JHM
Mouse hepatitis virus JHM (JHMV or MHV-4) induces subacute and chronic demyelination in rodents and has been studied as a model of human demyelinating diseases, such as multiple sclerosis. However, despite intensive investigation, the state of JHMV during chronic disease is poorly understood. Using reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction amplification (RT-PCR) to “rescue” viral RNA, we have found that JHMV-specific sequences persist for at least 787 days after intracerebral inoculation of experimental mice. Analysis of persisting viral RNA reveals that it is extensively mutated, and we hypothesize that the mutations observed reflect adaptation of the viral quasispecies to low-level intracellular replication during chronic disease.
KeywordsMultiple Sclerosis Viral Nucleic Acid Intracellular Replication Viral Quasispecies Intracerebral Inoculation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kyuwa S., Stohlman S.A. Pathogenesis of a neurotropic murine coronavirus, strain JHM in the central nervous system of mice. Semin Virol 1990;1:273–280.Google Scholar
- 2.Levine B., Griffin D.E. Persistence of viral RNA in mouse brains after recovery from acute alphavirus encephalitis. J Virol 1993;66:6429–6436.Google Scholar
- 4.Fleming J.O., Houtman J.J., Alaca H., Hinze H.C., McKenzie D., Aiken J., Bleasdale T., Baker S. Persistence of viral RNA in the central nervous system of mice inoculated with MHV-4. Adv Exp Med Biol 1993;327–332.Google Scholar
- 6.Eigen M.: Steps Towards Life: A Perspective on Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.Holland J.J. Replication error, quasispecies populations, and extreme evolution rates of RNA viruses. In Morse S.S. (ed) Emerging Viruses. Oxford University Press Oxford 1993 pp 203–218.Google Scholar
- 10.Atkins J.F. Contemporary RNA genomes. In Gesteland R.F., Atkins J.F. (eds) The RNA World. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Plainview 1993 pp 535–556.Google Scholar
- 11.Fleming J.O., Houtman J.J., Hinze H.C. Experimentally produced relapses of demyelination in murine coronavirus-infected mice. Neurology 1994;44(Suppl 2):A332.Google Scholar