Vascular Gene Therapy
Gene therapy is emerging as a new and exciting therapeutic modality for cardiovascular pathology. The work reported here was carried out in the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) in Bethesda, MD, USA, where genetically engineered endothelial cells were used to seed endovascular prostheses and cell adhesion to the prostheses was tested both in vitro and in vivo. Two catheter based systems were used to deliver genes to the arterial wall cells in vivo, employing retroviral and adenoviral vectors. Efficient gene transfer to vascular cells in vivo was achieved with adenoviral vectors.
KeywordsGene Therapy Gene Transfer Adenoviral Vector Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation Stent Deployment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Flugelman MY, Leon MB, Bowman RL, Virmani R, Anderson WF, Dichek DA. Retention of seeded cells on balloon expanded stents under flow conditions. Circulation. 1990;82(Supl. III):72.Google Scholar
- 8.Flugelman MY, Rome JJ, Virmani R, Newman KD, Dichek DA. Detection of genetically engineered endothelial cells seeded on endovascular prosthesis ten days after in vivo deployment. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1993;25 (supp I):S.38.Google Scholar
- 9.Rome JJ, Shayani V, Flugelman MY, Newman KD, Farb A, Virmani R, Dichek DA. Anatomic barriers determine the distribution of in vivo gene transfer into the arterial wall: modeling with microscopic tracer particles and verification with a recombinant adenoviral vector. Atherosclerosis & Thrombosis 1994;14:148–161.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Flugelman MY, Virmani R, Correa R, Yu Z-X, Farb A, Leon BM, Fu YM, Casscells W, Epstein SE. Smooth muscle cell abundance and fibroblast growth factors in coronary lesions of patients with non fatal unstable angina: a clue to the mechanism of transformation from the stable to the unstable clinical state. Circulation. 1993;88:2493–2500.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Coghlan A. Gene superclub signs up top players. New Scientist. 1994;1952:4.Google Scholar
- 18.Schulick AH, newman KD, Dichek DA. A therapeutic window for in vivo adenoviral vector mediated gene transfer. Circulation 1994;90(Supl 4):I–516.Google Scholar
- 21.Feldman LJ, Steg PG, Zheng LP, Kearney M,Barry JJ, Perricaudet M, Isner JM. Percutaneous adeno-mediated gene delivery to normal and atherosclerotic arteries in vivo: a comparative study. Circulation. 1994;90(Supl 4):I–517.Google Scholar