One implication of the standard hot big bang cosmology is that from the relics of the early universe we should in principle expect the universe to contain the same abundance of baryons and antibaryons. However there exist compelling empirical evidence that the universe is made out of matter with relative few antimatter. From the present asymmetry we can extrapolate that at the energy scale of the electroweak phase transition there was one part in 108 more matter than antimatter in the universe. The goal of baryogenesis is to explain why there is this asymmetry between the amount of matter and antimatter i.e. there is a nonbanishing ratio between the net baryon number density and entropy density (nB/s) in the universe.
KeywordsHiggs Mass Baryon Number Baryon Asymmetry Electroweak Phase Transition Background Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.N. Turok, in `Perspectives on Higgs Physics’, ed. G. Kane (World Scientific, Singapore, 1992).Google Scholar
- 6.A.D. Dolgov UM-AC.93–91 preprint (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.N. S. Manton Phys. Rev. D 28, 2019 (1983): F. R. Klinkhamrner and N. S. Manton, Phys Rev. D 30, 2212 (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.See 4and references therein.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Brandenberger, A. C. Davis and M. Trodden, BROWN-HET-935 preprint (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Vachaspati, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 1977 (1992). For earlier work see Y. Nambu, Nucl. Phys. B130, 505 (1977); M.B. Einhorn and A. Savit, Phys. Lett. 77B, (1978) 295; N.S. Manton, Phys. Rev. D28, (1983) 2018.Google Scholar
- 15.T. Vachaspati and R. Watkins, Phys. Lett. B318, 163 (1993); T.D. Lee, Phys. Rep. 23C, 254 (1976).Google Scholar
- 17.G. Dvali and G. Senjanovic IC/94 preprint (1994).Google Scholar
- 18.C.J. Hogan, Phys. Rev. Lett. 51 (1983) 1488; M.S. Turner and L.W. Widrow, Phys. Rev. D37 (1988); W. Garretson, G.B. Field and S.M. Carroll, Phys. Rev. D46 (1992) 5346.Google Scholar
- 20.K. Enqvist and P. Olesen NORDITA-94/6 preprint (1994).Google Scholar
- 22.I want to thank George Field for pointing this out when I showed him the calculation.Google Scholar
- 23.T. Vachaspati and G. Field, TU/94 preprint (1994).Google Scholar
- 25.M. Dine and S. Thomas SCIPP 94/01 preprint (1994).Google Scholar