Continuum QCD2 In Terms of Discrete Random Surfaces with Local Weights
The 1/N expansion of pure U(N) gauge theory on a two-dimensional manifold M is reformulated as the topological expansion of a special model of random surfaces defined on a lattice L covering M. The random surfaces represent branched coverings of L. The Boltzmann weight of each surface is exp[-area] times a product of local factors associated with the branch points. The 1/N corrections are produced by surfaces with higher topology as well as by contact interactions due to microscopic tubes, trousers, handles, etc. The continuum limit of this model is the limit of infinitely dense covering lattice L. The construction generalizes trivially to D > 2 where it describes the strong coupling phase of the lattice gauge theory. A possible integration measure in the space of continuous surfaces is suggested.
KeywordsGauge Theory Partition Function Branch Point Wilson Loop Continuum Limit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Gross, Princeton preprint PUPT-1356, hep-th/9212149.Google Scholar
- D. Gross and W. Taylor IV, preprints PUPT-1376 hep-th/9301068 and PUPT-1382 hep-th/9303046.Google Scholar
- M. Douglas, Preprint RU-93-13 (NSF-ITP-93-39); A. D’Adda, M. Caselle, L. Magnea and S. Panzeri, Preprint hep-th 9304015; J. Minahan and A. Polychronakos, hep-th/9303153.Google Scholar
- M. Douglas and V. Razakov, preprint LPTENS-93/20.Google Scholar
- A. Polyakov, Phys. Lett. B (103) 207.Google Scholar
- A. Polyakov, preprint PUPT-1394, April 1993.Google Scholar
- J.-M. Drouffe and J.-B. Zuber, Phys. Rep. 102, Nos. 1, 2 (1983) 1-119, section 4.Google Scholar
- A.A. Migdal, unpublished (1978); D. Förster, Phys. Lett. 87B (1979) 87; T. Eguchi, Phys. Lett. 87B (1979) 91.Google Scholar