Adipogenesis and TSH Receptor Expression
The symptoms and signs of Graves’ ophthalmopathy (GO) can be explained mechanically by an increase in the volume of tissues within the confines of the bony orbit. Volume measurements of the orbital adipose/connective tissue compartment and the extraocular muscles using computed tomography (CT) scans revealed abnormalities in 87% of Graves’ patients with clinically detectable GO (1). Enlarged muscles with normal fat volume was noted in 48% of these patients, while enlargement of both the extraocular muscles and the fat compartment was found in 46% of patients. The converse, or increased fat compartment volume with normal muscle volumes, was found in 8% of GO patients. In another study, measurement of extraocular muscle volumes in 50 patients with GO revealed relatively poor correlation between the extent of muscle enlargement and proptosis measurements. In contrast, another group of investigators found the degree of proptosis to correlate well with orbital fat volumes (2). Taken together, these studies suggest that orbital adipose tissue expansion in GO likely influences the degree of proptosis to a greater extent than does the extraocular muscle enlargement.
KeywordsObesity Hydrated Lipase Electrophoresis Neuropathy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Peyster RG, Ginsberg F, Silber JH, Adler LP. 1986 Exophthalmos caused by excessive fat: CT volumetric analysis and differential diagnosis. Am J Neuroradiol. 7:35–40.Google Scholar
- 3.Campbell RJ. 1984 Pathology of Graves’ ophthalmopathy: IN: Gorman CA, Waller RA, Dyer JA (eds): The Eye and Orbit in Thyroid Disease. New York Raven, pp.25–31.Google Scholar
- 6.Poznanski W, Waheed I, Van R. 1973 Human fat cell precursors. Morphologic and metabolic differentiation in culture. J Lab Invest. 29:570–576.Google Scholar
- 7.Smas CM, Sul HS. 1995 Control of adipocyte differentiation. Biochem. 309:697–710.Google Scholar
- 9.Hirsch J, Fried SK, Edens NK,Leibel RL. 1989 The fat cell. Med Clin N Am. 73:83–96.Google Scholar
- 19.Gregoire FM, Smas CM, Sul HS. 1998 Understanding adipocyte differentiation. Physiol Rev. 78:738–809.Google Scholar
- 32.Erickson DZ, Harteneck DA, Erickson BJ, Dutton CM, Bahn RS. Induction of leptin expression in orbital preadipocyte fibroblasts. Thyroid, in press.Google Scholar