Systematic Validation of a Relational Control Program for the Bay Area Rapid Transit System
The failure of safety-critical systems, such as aircraft control systems, railway control systems, and nuclear power plant control systems, can cause catastrophic losses of life and property. Hence, it is imperative to assure the reliability and safety of these systems to a very high degree of confidence.
It is infeasible to perform this type of ultrahigh reliability analysis by treating the entire system as one unit. This paper develops an approach that combines relational programs with iterative enhancement. It allows a complex system to be divided into a series of increments such that each increment is decomposed into subsystems that can be independently assessed. An increment is related to the previous increment via transformations or clearly delineated enhancements that can be assessed independently. The subsystems are then automatically composed together to obtain the system.
The approach guarantees that the reliability and safety of the system can be inferred from the corresponding properties of the individual subsystems. It is illustrated using a case study drawn from the Bay Area Rapid Transit system project.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Farokh B. Bastani. Relational Programs: Architecture for Robust Process-Control Programs. To appear in —emphAnnals of Software Engineering.Google Scholar
- F.B. Bastani, V.L. Winter, and I.-L. Yen. Dependability of relational programs. InProc. Of the 1999 IEEE Intl. Symp. On Software Reliability Engineering, Boca Raton, FL, Nov. 1999.Google Scholar
- G. Kiczales, J. Lamping, A. Mendhekar, C. Maeda, C.V. Lopes, J.-M. Loigtier, and J. Irwin. Aspect-Oriented Programming.Prof. European Cong, on Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP), Finland, June 1997.Google Scholar
- Reasoning, Inc., Code-Base Management System (CBMS), Mountain View, CA,1997.Google Scholar
- V.L. Winter and J.M. Boyle. Proving refinement transformations for deriving high-assurance software. InProceedings of the IEEE High-Assurance Systems Engineering Workshop, Oct. 1996.Google Scholar
- V.L. Winter, Private communication, July 1998.Google Scholar
- Victor Winter, Raymond Berg and Jim Ringland. “Bay Area Rapid Transit District Advanced automated Train Control System Case Study Description”, 1999.Google Scholar