Alterations in 1,2-Diacylglycerols and Ceramides in Diabetic Rat Heart
Recent evidence has implicated lipid-mediated second messengers such as 1,2diacylgjycerol (DAG)-protein protein kinase C (PKC) pathway as an important mediator underling multiple aspects of myocardial function (1). For example, PKC is involved in Ca2+ -induced inotropy, in mediating myocardial preconditioning by diverse stimuli both in animals and humans, and in the signaling processes which lead to the production of proinflammatory mediators. Hyperglycemia and diabetes have been shown to be associated with PKC activities (2). The changes in DAG-PKC pathway are significant in causing cardiovascular dysfunctions and pathologies.
KeywordsDiabetic Heart Ceramide Content Ventricular Contractile Function Left Ventricular Contractile Function Cholesterol Acetate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2._ D. Kova_ and G.L. King. Perspective in diabetes: Protein kinase C’ activation and the development of diabetic complications. Diabetes. 47:859 (1995).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Ping. J. Zhatg. Y. Qin. X.L. Tang. S. Manchikalapudi. X. Cao and R. Bolli. Ischemic preconditioning induces selective truislocation of protein kinase C isofonns r and i) in the heart ofconsciou’s rabbits without subcellular redistribution of total protein kinase C iciicjn. Cire Res. 81:404 (1997).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Bolling. R.A. Walsh. G. Song. T. Esiridge. GE. Sandusky. RL. Fouts. K Mimic. T Pickard. R Roden. MR Bristow. HN Sabbah. JL Mirrahi. G Groino. GL King. and CJ Vlahos. Increased protein kinase C activity and expression ofCat+-sensitive isofonns in the filling human heart. Circulation. 98:384 (1998).Google Scholar
- 7.K. Okumura. N. Akiyanna H. Hashimoto. K. Ogawrr and T. Satake. Alteration of 1.2-diacylgtvccrol content in the myocardium fions diabetic rets. Diabetes. 37:1 168(1988).Google Scholar
- 13.Y.A. Hannun_C.R. Loomis. A.H.Jr. Merrill. and R.M. Bell. Sphingosine inhibition of protein kinase C activity and of phorbol dibutvrate binding in vitro and in human platelets. J Biol Cheer. 261:12604 (1986).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Turcani. and H. Rupp. Etomoxir improves tell ventricular performance of pressure-overloaded rit heart. Circulation. 96:3681(1997).Google Scholar
- 16.F.J. Schmitz. P. ROsen. and H. Reinaucr. Improvement of myocardial limetion and metabolism in diabetic nits by the camitine palmitovl trmsfcrase inhibitor eiomoyir. Horan Met Res. 27: 515 (1995).Google Scholar