Order and Disorder Phenomena at Surfaces of Binary Alloys
We present recent Monte Carlo results on surfaces of bcc-structured binary alloys which undergo an order-disorder phase transformation in the bulk. In particular, we discuss surface order and surface induced disorder at the bulk transition between the ordered (DO3) phase and the disordered (A2) phase. An intricate interplay between different ordering and segregation phenomena leads to a complex surface behavior, which depends on the orientation of the surface under consideration.
KeywordsEntropy Nickel Haas
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- For reviews on surface critical phenomena see K. Binder in Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena, Vol. 8, p. 1 (1983), C. Domb and J.L. Lebowitz eds., Academic Press, London; S. Diehl, ibid, Vol.Google Scholar
- S- Dietrich in Phase Transitions and Critical Phe-nomena,C. Domb and J.L. Lebowitz eds (Academic Press, New York, 1988), Vol. 12; C. Domb and J.L. Lebowitz eds (Academic Press, New York, 1988), Vol. 12Google Scholar
- [2a]M. Schick in Les Houches, Session XLVIII -Liquids at Interfaces,J. Charvolin, J. F. Joanny, and J. Zinn-Justin eds.(Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1990).Google Scholar
- W. Schweika, D.P. Landau, Monte Carlo studies of surface induced ordering in Cu3Au alloy models, in Computer Simulation Studies in Condensed-Matter Physics X, P. 186 (1997).Google Scholar
- for reviews see D. De Fontaine in Solid State Physics 34, p 73 H. Ehrenreich, F. Seitz and D. Turnbell eds., Academic Press, New York 1979; K. Binder in Festkorperprobleme (Advances in Solid State Physics) 26, p 133, P. Grosse ed., Vieweg, Braunschweig 1986.Google Scholar
- E. H. Hauge, Landau theory of wetting in systems with a two component order parameter Phys. Rev. B 33, 3323 (1985).Google Scholar
- H. Dosch, Critical Phenomena at Surfaces and Interfaces (Evanescent X-ray and Neutron Scattering), Springer Tracts in Modern Physics Vol 126 (Springer, Berlin, 1992).Google Scholar
- F. F. Haas, Dissertation Universität Mainz (1998); F. F. Haas, F. Schmid, and K. Binder, Surface induced disorder in body centered cubic alloys, to appear in Phys. Rev. B (June 2000) in preparation.Google Scholar