Diet, Lifestyle and Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease the Integration of Observational and Experimental Evidence
Epidemiological studies, including the Seven Countries Study, have provided substantial evidence that diet is involved in the etiology of CHD. Observational epidemiology and controlled dietary intervention studies have shown that for prevention of CHD, fatty acid composition of the diet is of primary importance. A healthy diet should be low in saturated andtransfatty acids and should have an adequate amount of N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, and a balance between N-3 and N-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Dietary antioxidants and dietary fiber may be important, however, evidence for these factors is less impressive than that for fatty acids.
KeywordsCoronary Heart Disease Saturated Fatty Acid Trans Fatty Acid Country Study Body Mass Index Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.World Health Organisation. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Report of a WHO Study Group. Geneva: World Health Organisation, (WHO Technical Report Series No 797) 1990:1–203.Google Scholar
- 4.Huijbregts P, Feskens E, Räsänen L, Fidanza F, Nissinen A, Menotti A, Kromhout D. Dietary pattern and 20 year mortality in elderly men in Finland, Italy, and the Netherlands: Longitudinal cohort study. BMJ 1997; 315:13–17.Google Scholar
- 7.Hertog MGL, Kromhout D, Aravanis C, Blackburn H, Buzina R, Fidanza F, Giampaoli S, Jansen A, Menotti A, Nedeljkovic S, Pekkarinen M, Simic BS, Toshima H, Feskens EJM, Holtman PCH, Katan MB. Flavonoid intake and long-term risk of coronary heart disease and cancer in the Seven Countries Study. Arch Intern Med 1995;155:381–386.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Hjermann I, Byre KV, Holme I, Leren P. Effect of diet and smoking intervention on incidence of coronary heart disease. Report from the Oslo Study Group of a randomized trial in healthy men. Lancet 1981; ii:1303–1310.Google Scholar
- 9.Miettinen M, Turpeinen O, Karvonen MJ, Elosuo R, Paavilainen E. Effect of cholesterol - lowering diet on mortality from coronary heart disease and other causes. A twelve-year clinical trial in men and women. Lancet 1972;ii:835–838.Google Scholar
- 11.Vartiainen E, Puska P, Pekkanen J, Tuomilehto J, Jousilahti P. Changes in risk factors explain changes in mortality from ischaemic heart disease in Finland. BMJ 1994;309:23–27.Google Scholar
- 20.Wood D, De Backer G, Faergeman O, Graham I, ManciaGPyörälä K. Task Force Report “Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease in Clinical Practice. Eur Heart J 1998;19:14341503.Google Scholar