Computer Models and Analysis Tools for Neural Microcircuits
This chapter surveys web resources regarding computer models and analysis tools for neural microcircuits. In particular it describes the features of a new website (www.lsm.tugraz.at) that facilitates the creation of computer models for cortical neural microcircuits of various sizes and levels of detail, as well as tools for evaluating the computational power of these models in a Matlab-environment.
Key wordsneural microcircuits spiking neurons computer simulations real-time computing learning algorithms Matlab
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Auer, P., Burgsteiner, H., and Maass, W. (2002) Reducing communication for distributed learning in neural networks. Proc. ICANN’2002. Online available as # 127 onhttp://www.igi.tugraz.at/maass/publications.html.
- Braitenberg, V., and Schuez, A. (1998) Cortex: Statistics and Geometry of Neuronal Connectivity, 2nd ed., Springer Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Douglas, R., and Martin, K. (1998) Neocortex. In: The Synaptic Organization of the Brain. G. M. Shepherd, Ed., Oxford University Press, 459–509.Google Scholar
- Duda, R. O., Hart, P. E., and Stork, D. G. (2001) Pattern Classification, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Gupta, A., Silberber, G., Toledo-Rodriguez, M, Wu, C. Z., Wang, Y., and Markram, H. (2002, in press) Organizing principles of neocortical microcircuits. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. Google Scholar
- Hertz, J., Krogh, A., and Palmer, R. G. (1991) Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation. Addison-Wesley, Redwood City, Ca.Google Scholar
- Maass, W., Natschläger, T., and Markram, H. (2002, in press) Real-time computing without stable states: A new framework for neural computation based on perturbations. Neural Computation. Online available as # 130 on http://www.igi.tugraz.at/maass/publications.html
- Markram, H., Ofer, M., Natschlager, T., Maass, W. (2002, in press) Temporal integration in neocortical microcircuits. Cerebral Cortex. Google Scholar
- Shepherd, G. M. (1988) A basic circuit for cortical organization. In: Perspectives in Memory Research, M. Gazzaniga, Ed., MIT-Press, 93–134.Google Scholar
- Thomson, A., West, D. C., Wang, Y., and Bannister, A. P. (2002, in press) Synaptic connections and small circuits involving excitatory and inhibitory neurons in layers 2 to 5 of adult rat and cat neocortex: triple intracellular recordings and biocytin-labelling in vitro. Cerebral Cortex. Google Scholar
- Vapnik, V. N. (1998) Statistical Learning Theory. John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar