Erythrocyte Folate Levels in Operating Room Personnel
Operating room personnel (ORP) are unwillingly and chronically exposed to anesthetic gases, since various amounts of these agents are present in the air of operating rooms as a contaminant. Their side effects can be observed in exposed group by influencing many important biochemical pathways with these agents. Therefore; this study was designed to evaluate whether there is any untoward-effect of anesthetic agents on folate status. For this purpose erythrocyte folate levels were determined by radioassay technique in ORP and also controls. Erythrocyte folate levels in ORP were significantly higher than those of control (p<0.05). Effects of some major factors such as smoking, sex differences, duration of occupational exposure were also investigated in the present study.
KeywordsToxicity Toluene Turkey Folate Methionine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barash P.G., Cullen B.F., Stoelting R.K. Handbook of Clinical Anesthesia. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott; pp. 32–162, 1991Google Scholar
- 2.Ellenhorn M.J. Ellenhorn’s Medical Toxicology. Pennsylvania Williams & Wilkins; pp. 1166–1203, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.Wrigley S.R., Jones R.M. Inhalational agents: an update. Euro J Anaesth 9: 185–201, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Picciano M.F., Stokstad E.L.R. Folic Acid Metabolism in Health and Disease. New York: Wiley-Liss Inc; 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.Amos R.J., Amess J.A.L., Hinds C.J., Mollin D.L. Incidence and pathogenesis of acute megaloblastic bone-marrow change in patients receiving intensive care. Lancet 835–839, 1982.Google Scholar
- 11.Nunn J.F. Interaction of nitrous oxide and vitamin B12. TIPS 225–227, 1984.Google Scholar
- 13.Thompson S.G. Principles for competitive-binding assays. In: Clinical Chemistry. Eds. Kaplan LA, Pesce AJ. Missouri: Mosby-Year Book Inc., pp. 250–269, 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.Blakley R.L., Benkovic S.J. Folates and Pterins, Canada: John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1984.Google Scholar
- 19.Pfeiffer CM., Gregory J.F. Enzymatic deconjugation of erythrocyte polyglutamyl folates during preparation for folate assay: investigation with reversed-phase liquid chromatography. ClinChem 42: 1847–1854, 1996.Google Scholar