Emergence of the Symbolic Function
On the surface, natural language appears to be embodied in an extremely sophisticated communication system that, through the mutual recall of meanings accomplished by using suitable triggering stimuli, allows distinct cognitive agents to perform adaptive behaviors; besides, such stimuli are typically thought of in terms of a set of symbols, i.e. meaning recalling entities, associated to a set of processes for their manipulation. However, the nature of both communication and symbols as well as the nature of their manipulation processes isn’t still clearly understood.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chalmers, D. J., 1994, The Components of Content. PNP Technical Report 94-04, Whashington University.Google Scholar
- Chomsky, N. A., 1980, On Cognitive Structures and their Development. In Language and Learning: the Debate between Jean Piaget and Noam Chomsky (M. Piattelli- Palmarini, ed.). Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- De Saussure, F., 1922, Cours de Linguistique Generale. Editions Payot, Paris.Google Scholar
- Elman, J. L., 1999, The Emergence of Language: A Conspiracy Theory. In Emergence of Language (B. MacWhinney, ed.), LEA, Hillsdale, NJ.Google Scholar
- Heylighen, F., 1989, Self-Organization, Emergence and the Architecture of Complexity. Proceedings of the First European Conference on Systems Science, AFCET, Paris.Google Scholar
- Peirce, C. S., 1978, Collected Papers. Vol. II: Elements of Logic. (C. Hartshorne and P. Weiss, eds.), Belknap, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Pessa, E., 1998, Emergence, Self-Organization and Quantum Theory. In Proceedings of the First Italian Conference on Systemics, Apogeo, Milan.Google Scholar
- Pessa, E., and Terenzi, G., 2001, A Neural Solution to the Symbol Grounding Problem. In WIRN- Vietri (M. Marinaro and R. Tagliaferri, eds.), in press.Google Scholar
- Pessa, E., and Vitiello, G., 1998, Dynamical Generation of Symmetry Patterns and Coherence in Quantum Fields Theory. Proceedings of the First Italian Conference on Systemics, Apogeo, Milano.Google Scholar
- Rojas, R., 1996, Neural Networks: A Systematic Introduction. Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York.Google Scholar