Towards a New Agenda for Operational Research and Environmental Management
In 1999, the Operational Research Society granted charitable funding to a systemic intervention project, based in the Centre for Systems Studies at the University of Hull, designed to create an agenda for the future role of operational research (OR) in environmental planning and management. Our final report has recently been published in the form of a book entitled Operational Research and Environmental Management: A New Agenda (Midgley and Reynolds, 2001). This short paper summarises our findings.
KeywordsOperational Research Public Participation Voluntary Sector Soft System Methodology Stakeholder Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackoff, R. (1974). Redesigning the Future: A Systems Approach to Societal Problems, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Ackoff, R. (1981). Creating the Corporate Future, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P. (1981). Systems Thinking, Systems Practice, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P. and Scholes, J. (1990). Soft Systems Methodology in Action, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Flood, R.L. and Romm, N.R.A. (eds.) (1996). Critical Systems Thinking: Current Research and Practice, Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Jackson, M.C. (2000). Systems Approaches to Management, Kluwer/Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Midgley, G. (1996). “What is this Thing called Critical Systems Thinking?” in Critical Systems Thinking: Current Research and Practice, (R.L. Flood and N.R.A. Romm, eds.), Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Midgley, G. (2000). Systemic Intervention: Philosophy, Methodology, and Practice, Kluwer/Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Midgley, G. and Reynolds, M. (2001). Operational Research and Environmental Management: A New Agenda, Operational Research Society, Birmingham.Google Scholar
- Silverman, D. (2000). Doing Qualitative Research: A Practical Handbook, Sage, London.Google Scholar
- Ulrich, W. (1983). Critical Heuristics of Social Planning: A New Approach to Practical Philosophy, Haupt, Berne.Google Scholar