Ten years after the discovery of giant magnetoresistance (GMR), commercialization of the technology is evidenced by product introductions in magnetic field sensors and read heads for hard drives. This comparatively short introduction time was facilitated by the prior existence of similar products using anisotropic magnetoresistance (AMR) and other materials. In 1995, the first GMR magnetic field sensors were sold by Nonvolatile Electronics, Inc. (NVE), and in 1997, NVE introduced a line of GMR sensors, where GMR multilayer materials were integrated on-chip with silicon integrated circuits. Siemens introduced a GMR magnetic field sensor in 1997.
KeywordsSensor Element Magnetic Sensor Wheatstone Bridge Spin Valve Hall Sensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Fraden, AIP Handbook of Modern Sensors: Physics Designs and Applications (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1993).Google Scholar
- 2.S. M. Sze (Ed.) Semiconductor Sensors (Wiley, New York, 1994).Google Scholar
- 5.M. J. Caruso, T. Bratland, C. H. Smith, and R. Schneider, A new perspective on magnetic field sensing, Proceedings Sensors Expo San Jose (Helmers, Peterborough, NH, 1998) pp. 351–370.Google Scholar
- 6.D. R. Krahn, A Brief study of magnetic sensors, Proceedings Sensors Expo Boston (Helmers, Peterborough, NH, 1995) pp. 75–82.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Emerald, Low duty cycle operation of Hall effect sensors for circuit power conservation, Sensors, Advenstar Communications, Inc., Duluth, MN, 15, 38 (March 1998).Google Scholar
- 8.Magnetic Sensors International Data Book 1995 (Siemans Aktiengesellschaft, Munich).Google Scholar
- 17.Giant Magneto Resistive Position Sensor, Preliminary Data S4, (Seimens Aktiengesellschaft, Munich, 1998).Google Scholar
- 18.K. F. Anderson, The Constant Current Loop: A New Paradigm for Resistance Signal Conditioning, NASA TM-104260, October, 1992.Google Scholar
- 19.J. L. Brown, High sensitivity magnetic field sensor using GMR materials with integrated electronics, Proceedings of the Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Seattle, WA, January, 1995.Google Scholar