Obesity is a rapidly growing health concern that is reaching epidemic proportions. The prevalence of this disease has escalated over the last 20–30 years, largely due to sedentary lifestyles and high-fat energy dense foods.
KeywordsSugar Obesity Income Osteoarthritis Lost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Canadian Health Reports. (2000). Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003, 12(3), 1–20.Google Scholar
- Center for Disease Control (CDC). (2000). Growth charts: United States. Developed by the National center for Health Statistics in collaboration with the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Available: http://www.cdc.govGoogle Scholar
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults-The Evidence Report (1998). The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI).Google Scholar
- Donnelly, J.R., Jacobsen, D.J., Whitley, J.E., Swift L.L., Cherrington, A., Polk, B., Tran, A.V., & Reed, G. (1996). Nutrition and physical activity program to attenuate obesity and promote physical and metabolic fitness in elementary school children Obesity Research, 4, 229–243.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- French, S.A., Jeffery, R.W., Story, M., Breitlow, K.K., & Baxter, J.S. (2001). Pricing and promotion effects on low-fat vending snack purchases: The CHIPS study. American Journal of Public Health, 9(1), 112–117.Google Scholar
- Luepker, R.V., Perry, C.L., McKinlay, S.M., Nader, P.R., Parcel, G.S., Stone, E.J., Webber, L.S., Elder, J.P., Felman, H.A., Johnson, D.D., Kelder, S.H., & Wu, M. (1996). Outcomes of a field trial to improve children’s dietary patterns and physical activity: The child and adolescent trial for cardiovascular health (CATCH). Journal of the American Medical Association, 275(10), 768–776.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO). (1997). ”Obesity epidemic puts millions at risk form related diseases” World Health Organization Press Release, June 12, 1997. Information from the World Health Organization Consultation on Obesity (Geneva, June 3–5, 1997).Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO). (1999). Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation on obesity.Google Scholar
- WHO Global Database on Obesity and Body Mass Index (BMI) in Adults. (2001). Available: http://www. who.int/nut/db_bmi.htmGoogle Scholar