In Vitro Transformation of Monocytes and Dendritic Cells into Endothelial like Cells
Our in vitro data indicate that peripheral blood monocytes or monocyte-derived immature dendritic cells under appropriate culture conditions transdifferentiate into endothelial-like cells (ELC), which are characterized by the expression of endothelial markers and the formation of tube-like structures. Dependent on the culture conditions a mixed macrophage/endothelial or an endothelial phenotype could be induced. A similar pattern of development could be seen in CD14+ monocyte-derived ELC and ELC grown from CD34+ precursor cells or from dendritic cells generated from CD34+ cells. These in vitro data suggest that monocytes are precursors of different subgroups of endothelial cells and that the formation of endothelial cells from CD34+ progenitor cells follows a similar pathway possibly via the monocyte and/or the immature dendritic cell.
KeywordsBlood Monocyte Endothelial Marker Vascular Endothelial Cell Growth Factor Angiogenic Growth Factor Endothelial Cell Marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aschoff, L., 1924, Das reticuloendotheliale System, Erg. Inn. Med. Kinderheilk. 26: 1.Google Scholar
- Harraz, M., liao, C., Hanlon, H. D., Hartley R. S. and Schatteman G. C.. 2001, CD34(-) blood derived human endothelial cell progenitors, Stem Cells 19: 304.Google Scholar
- Heinemann, D. E., Siggelkow, H. Ponce, L. M. Viereck Y. Wiese K. G. and Peters J. H. 2000. Alkaline phosphatase expression during monocyte differentiation. Overlapping markers as a link between monocytic cells, dendritic cells. osteoclasts and osteoblasts, lmmunohiology 202: 68.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Leek R. D., Lewis C. E. and Harris A. L. 1997, The role of macrophages in tumor angiogenesis, in: Tumor Angiogenesis, R. Bicknell, C. E. Lewis and N. Ferrara, eds. Oxford University Press. Oxford, pp. 81–91.Google Scholar
- Nicholson, G. C., Malakellis M., Collier F. M., Cameron P. K., Holloway W. R., Gough, T. J., Gregorio-King C., Kirkland, M. A., and Meyers, D. E. 2000. Induction of osteoclasts from CDI4-positive human peripheral blood mononuclear cells by receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B ligand (RANKL), Clin Sci 99: 133.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pujol, B. F., Lucibello, F. C., Zuzarte, M. L., Lütjens, P, Müller, R. and Havemann, K. 2001, Dendritic cells derived from peripheral monocytes express endothelial markers and in the presence of angiogenic growth factors differentiate into endothelial-like cells. Eur J Cell Biol 80: 99.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pujol, B. F., Lucibello, F. C., Zuzarte, M. L., Müller, R. and Havemann, K. 2000b. Dendritic cells (DC) generated from hematopoietic progenitor cells express endothelial cell markers and can be converted into endothelial like cells (ELC) in the presence of angiogenic growth factors. Proc Am A Cane R 41: 116.Google Scholar
- Schmeisser, A., Garlichs, C. D., Zhang, H., Eskafi, S., Graffy, C., Ludwig, J., Strasser, R. H. and Daniel, W. G. 2001, Monocytes coexpress endothelial and macrophagocytic lineage markers and form cord-like structures in matrigel under angiogenic conditions, Curdiorase Res 49: 671.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uccini, S., Sirianni, M. C., Vincenzi, L., Topino, S., Stoppacciaro, A., Lesnoni La Parola, I., Capuano, M., Masini, C., Cerimele, D., Cella, M., Lanzavecchia, A., Allavena, P., Mantovani, A., Baroni, C. D. and Ruco, L. P. 1997, Kaposi’s sarcoma cells express the macrophage-associated antigen mannose receptor and develop in peripheral blood cultures of Kaposi’s sarcoma patients. Ant J Puthol 150: 929.Google Scholar