A Visit to the Physician: Diagnoses and Enabling Technologies
Many folks regard an appointment with a physician with fear and trepidation; after all, something is wrong, and it’s likely that by the time the appointment is made, the patient is in some discomfort. The memory of other, earlier appointments, when diagnostic tests were ordered and the results came back with an indecipherable or incomplete explanation, only contributes to the patient’s anxiety.
KeywordsMagnetic Resonance Imaging Contrast Agent Sound Wave Physical Exam Magnetic Resonance Imaging System
- 1.Street, L. (2012). Introduction to biomedical engineering technology (2nd ed.). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 2.Kennedy, P. (2012, July 27). Who made that home pregnancy test? The New York Times, New York.Google Scholar
- 5.Simel, D., Rennie, D., The American Medical Association (Eds.). (2009). The rational clinical examination: Evidence based clinical diagnosis. McGraw-Hill: New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Smith, M., Saunders, R., Stickhardt, L., & McGinnnis, M. The Institute Of Medicine, et al. (Eds.). (2012). Best care at lower cost: The path to continuously learning health care in America. The National Academies Press: Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 7.Rosenthal, E. (2012, June 2). Let’s (Not) Get Physicals. The New York Times. The New York Times Company: New York.Google Scholar
- 10.Barth, F. G. (2003). 1. Sensors and sensing: A biologist’s view. Sensors and sensing in biology and engineering (p. 3). Springer, Vienna.Google Scholar
- 12.Sickles, E. A. (1986). Breast calcifications: Mammographic evaluation. Radiology, 160, 289–293.Google Scholar
- 14.Brown, M. H. (1962). Effect of ionizing radiation on immunity. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 87, 1183.Google Scholar
- 15.Van Tiggelen, R., & Pouders, E. (2003). Ultrasound and computed tomography: Spin-offs of the world wars. Journal Belge de Radiologie—Belgisch Tijdschrift voor Radiologi, 86, 235–241.Google Scholar
- 19.Feynman, R. (1959). There’s plenty of room at the bottom. www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html.
- 21.Burrows, E. (1986). Pioneers and early years: History of British radiology. Alderney, UK: Colophon.Google Scholar
- 24.Guo, T., Finnis, K.W., Parrent, A.G., & Peters, T.M. et al. (2006). Visualization and navigation system development and application for stereotactic deep-brain neurosurgeries. Computer Aided Surgery, 11, 231–239.Google Scholar
- 25.Jaramaz, B., DiGioia, A.M. 3rd, Blackwell, M., & Nikou, C. et al. (1998). Computer assisted measurement of cup placement in total hip replacement. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 354, 70–81.Google Scholar