Building a Radiosurgery Practice
Stereotactic radiosurgery is an important surgical tool for a variety of neurosurgical illnesses. As a minimally invasive, low-cost, and low-morbidity procedure, radiosurgery utilization has been increasing over the last several years. This chapter discusses the major issues regarding radiosurgery for resident training, physician credentialing, and practice development. Topics such as benefits to choosing to include radiosurgery in one’s practice, building a referral base, marketing, selecting a treatment platform, tackling space needs, and defining staff responsibilities, and reimbursement issues are addressed. Familiarity with the topics discussed should help the neurosurgeon successfully include radiosurgery in practice.
KeywordsCobalt Transportation Adenoma Marketing Immobilization
This chapter is adapted, in part, from Litofsky NS, D’Agostino-Demers A: Building a radiosurgery program. In Chin LS, Regine WF (ed): Priniciples and Practice of Stereotactic Radiosurgery. New York, Springer, 2007. Pp 691–698.
- 2.Leksell Gamma Knife Treatment Centers. [Internet] 2012. http://www.elekta.com/patients/treatment-information/treatment-centers/leksell-gamma-knife.html 2012 Elektra AB.
- 4.Particle Therapy Cooperative Group. Facilities in operation.[Internet] 2012. Updated 2012 June 26. http://ptcog.web.psi.ch/ptcentres.html
- 5.Nafziger B. Proton therapy: Can you afford it? DOTmed business news. 2011.Google Scholar
- 9.Niranjan A, Jawahar A, Lunsford LD, Kondziolka D, Flickinger JC. Radiosurgery: future directions and new frontiers. In: Germano IM (ed). LINAC and Gamma Knife radiosurgery. USA:AANS, 2000:3–10.Google Scholar
- 10.Innovations Center, Health Care Advisory Board. Future of neurosciences; strategic forecast and investment blueprint. Washington, D.C.: The Advisory Board Company; 2008.Google Scholar
- 11.Innovations Center, Health Care Advisory Board. 2004–2005 National Member meeting: Future of neurosciences. Strategic forecast and investment blueprint. Washington, D.C.: The Advisory Board Company; 2004.Google Scholar
- 13.News RRC. Neurological surgery newsletter. April: ACGME; 2012.Google Scholar
- 15.Radiosurgery course of the Neurosurgery department of the University of Florida. [Internet] Updated 2012 Aug 10. http://online-course.neurosurgery.ufl.edu/
- 17.Suh JH, Barnett GH, Miller DW, Crownover RL, Willoughby TR, Weinhous MS, Barrett PA, Walsh JG, Macklis RM. Successful conversion from a linear accelerator-based program of a Gamma Knife radiosurgery program: the Cleveland Clinic experience. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 1999;72 Suppl 1:159–67.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Andrews DW, Scott CB, Sperduto PW, Flanders AE, Gaspar LE, Schell MC, Werner-Wasik M, Demas W, Ryu J, Bahary JP, Souhami L, Rotman M, Mehta MP, Curran Jr WJ. Whole brain radiation with or without stereotactic radiosurgery boost for patients with one to three brain metastases: phase III results of the RTOG 9508 randomised trial. Lancet. 2004;363:1665–72.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Jensen CA, Cahn MD, McCoy TP, Bourland JD, de Guzman AF, Ellis TL, Ekstrand KE, McMullen KP, Munley MT, Shaw EG, Urbanic JJ, Tatter SB. Cavity-directed radiosurgery as adjuvant therapy after resection of a brain metastasis. J Neurosurg. 2010;114(6):1585–91. doi: 10.3171/2010.11 JNS10939.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ganz JC: Presentation based on extremely selective use of references [letter]. http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/318/7181/411.
- 28.Loeffler J, Lindquist C. Radiosurgery for brain tumors [letter]. Br Med J. 1999;318:7181.Google Scholar
- 38.Browner CM, Hendrickson K. A nursing perspective of gamma knife treatment. Barrow Neurological Institute Quarterly. 1997;13(1):1–6.Google Scholar
- 40.St. George EJ, Kudhail J, Perks J, Plowman PN. Acute symptoms after gamma knife rasiosurgery. J Neurosurg. 2002;97:631–4.Google Scholar
- 42.Singh VP, Kansai S, Vaishya S, Julka PK, Mehta VS. Early complications following Gamma Knife radiosurgery for intracranial meningiomas. J Neurosurg. 2000;3:57–61.Google Scholar