Patient and Family Tools to Aid in Education and Decision-Making About Oncofertility
Adolescent and young adult patients diagnosed with cancer often respond by focusing more on immediate treatment needs, and not the potential consequences of late or long-term effects. However, addressing fertility preservation prior to the initiation of cancer treatment can help reduce the number of cancer survivors who experience infertility-related distress. Research has consistently shown that cancer patients and survivors desire to have their risks to fertility and preservation options disclosed even if they choose not to pursue fertility preservation options. Decision making in fertility preservation among cancer patients is complex and intricate, and tools to assist the healthcare professional or researcher in assessing the patient’s values and understanding of fertility are limited. Decisions about fertility preservation may be considered to have three components: risk appraisal, information integration, and long-term consideration. This chapter covers the criteria and framework for creating a patient decision aid and provides examples of currently available oncofertility-related educational materials and decision aids.
KeywordsAssisted Reproductive Technology Fertility Preservation Reproductive Endocrinologist Preservation Option Fertility Preservation Option
- 6.IPDAS. Criteria for judging the quality of patient aids. 2005. Retrieved from http://www.ipdas.ohri.ca/IPDAS_checklist.pdf
- 7.O’Connor AM. Ottawa Decision Support Framework to Address Decisional Conflict. 2006. Retrieved from http://decisionaid.ohri.ca/docs/develop/ODSF.pdf
- 8.O’Connor AM, Stacey D, Jacobsen MJ. Ottawa decision support tutorial: improving practitioners’ decision support skills Ottawa Hospital Research Institute: patient decision aids. 2011. Retrieved from https://decisionaid.ohri.ca/ODST/pdfs/ODST.pdf
- 11.Fertile Hope. LiveStrong Foundation. 2013. Retrieved 31 Dec 2012. fertilehope.org
- 12.MyOncofertility.org. The Oncofertility Consortium. 2011. Retrieved on 31 Dec 2012. myoncofertility.org.
- 13.Web-based Fertility Preservation Decision-Aid: Fertility Preservation Options. Available at Oncofertilitydecision.org. Please contact author for more information: Mersereau JE: email@example.com
- 18.Clayman ML. Learning about cancer and fertility: A guide for parents of young girls. Unpublished work 2012; please contact author for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.Google Scholar