Educating Providers on Evidence-Based Medical Guidelines
Fertility preservation is an emerging field that addresses the reproductive health of individuals facing gonadotoxic therapies. This population is diverse and comprises patients with a variety of malignant and non-malignant disorders that occur across the reproductive lifespan. The heterogeneous nature of the population poses unique challenges to the implementation of clinical research. Since the data in this field are evolving rapidly, physician mastery of evidence-based medicine concepts is essential for optimizing patient outcomes. In this section, we discuss the principles of evidence-based medicine, review methods for grading the literature, assess the current state of the literature in the field of fertility preservation, and consider strategies for physician education.
- 3.Guyatt G, Rennie D, Meade M, Cook D. Users’ guides to the medical literature: a manual for evidence-based clinical practice. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Sackett DL, Strauss SE, Richardson WS, Sackett DL, Rosenberg W, Haynes RB. Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM, vol. 2. Edinburgh: Churchill-Livingstone; 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.US Preventive Services Task Force. Grade definitions page. Available at: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/grades.htm. Accessed 18 Dec 2012.
- 8.US Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to clinical preventive services. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.The Practice Committees of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology. Mature oocyte cryopreservation: a guideline. Fertil Steril. 2013;99:37–43.Google Scholar
- 25.The Oncofertility Consortium at Northwestern University. Health professionals page. Available at: http://oncofertility.northwestern.edu. Accessed 4 Jan 2013.
- 26.Fertile Hope. Healthcare professionals page. Available at: http://www.fertilehope.org. Accessed 4 Jan 2013.
- 30.American Society of Clinical Oncology. The ASCO University focus under forty page. Available at: http://university.asco.org/focus-under-forty. Accessed 4 Jan 2013.