Approximate Global Convergence in Imaging of Land Mines from Backscattered Data
We present new model of an approximate globally convergent method in the most challenging case of the backscattered data. In this case data for the coefficient inverse problem are given only at the backscattered side of the medium which should be reconstructed. We demonstrate efficiency and robustness of the proposed technique on the numerical solution of the coefficient inverse problem in two dimensions with the time-dependent backscattered data. Goal of our tests is to reconstruct dielectrics in land mines which is the special case of interest in military applications. Our tests show that refractive indices and locations of dielectric abnormalities are accurately imaged.
The research of the authors was supported by US Army Research Laboratory and US Army Research Office grant W911NF-11-1-0399, the Swedish Research Council, the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (SSF) in Gothenburg Mathematical Modelling Centre (GMMC), and by the Swedish Institute, Visby Program.
- 1.N.V. Alexeenko, V.A. Burov and O.D. Rumyantseva, Solution of three-dimensional acoustical inverse problem: II. Modified Novikov algorithm, Acoust. Phys., 54, 407–419, 2008.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Ammari, E. Iakovleva, G. Perruson and D. Lesselier, Music-type electromagnetic imaging of a collection of small three dimensional inclusions, SIAM J. Sci.Comp., 29, 674–709, 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Beilina, K. Samuelsson and K. Åhlander, Efficiency of a hybrid method for the wave equation. In International Conference on Finite Element Methods, Gakuto International Series Mathematical Sciences and Applications. Gakkotosho CO., LTD, 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.M. V. Klibanov, Uniqueness of solutions in the ‘large’ of some multidimensional inverse problems, in Non-Classical Problems of Mathematical Physics, 101–114, 1981, published by Computing Center of the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Science, Novosibirsk (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 23.R. G. Novikov, The ∂ − bar approach to approximate inverse scattering at fixed energy in three dimensions, Int. Math. Res. Reports, 6, 287–349, 2005.Google Scholar
- 25.Portable, Extensible Toolkit for Scientific Computation PETSc at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/
- 26.V. G. Romanov 1986 Inverse Problems of Mathematical Physics (Utrecht, The Netherlands: VNU).Google Scholar
- 27.Tables of dielectric constants at http://www.asiinstr.com/technical/DielectricConstants.htm.
- 29.Software package WavES at http://www.waves24.com/