Background and Motivation
This chapter describes the Von-Neumann bottleneck and its effect in limiting the energy-efficiency of traditional compute hardware for processing data-intensive applications. For these applications, traditional approach of bringing data from off-chip memory to on-chip compute engines has been demonstrated to be ineffective in terms of energy-efficiency. In the era of big data, on-chip computing is restricted by both off-chip bandwidth and access energy. In such a scenario, an off-chip compute framework realized by instrumenting non-volatile memory can prove to be an effective solution in mitigating the Von-Neumann bottleneck. This chapter also discusses the nature of such an off-chip compute hardware and the applications which can benefit from it.
- 2.E.S. Chung, P.A. Milder, J.C. Hoe, K. Mai, “Single-Chip Heterogeneous Computing: Does the Future Include Custom Logic, FPGAs, and GPGPUs? in Intl. Symp. on Microarchitecture, 2010Google Scholar
- 3.P. Kogge et al., “ExaScale Computing Study: Technology Challenges in Achieving Exascale Systems”. http://www.cse.nd.edu/Reports/2008/TR-2008-13.pdf
- 4.V.W. Lee et al., “Debunking the 100X GPU vs. CPU Myth: An Evaluation of Throughput Computing on CPU and GPU”, in Intl. Symp. on Computer Architecture, 2010Google Scholar
- 5.R. Murphy, A. Rodrigues, P. Kogge, K. Underwood, “The Implications of Working Set Analysis on Supercomputing Memory Hierarchy Design”, in Intl. Conf. on Supercomputing, 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.“International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors” http://www.itrs.net/links/2009ITRS/Home2009.htm.
- 7.E.S. Chung, P.A. Milder, J.C. Hoe, K. Mai, “Single-Chip Heterogeneous Computing: Does the Future Include Custom Logic, FPGAs, and GPGPUs?”, in Intl. Symp. on Microarchitecture, 2010Google Scholar
- 8.A. Sodani, “Race to Exascale: Opportunities and Challenges”. http://www.microarch.org/micro44/files/program.htm
- 9.P.M. Kogge. “From Petaflops to Exaflops”, in Intl. Supercomputing Conference, 2008Google Scholar
- 10.“Simplescalar Toolset v3.0” http://www.simplescalar.com/