Green Building Approach in Turkish Aviation Sector
Nowadays, the idea of green building is a very popular concept. With the increase in the number of unregulated buildings, unchecked usage of natural resources, global warming, and environmental pollution, our lives suffer from problems resulting from these reasons. Scientists focus their studies on decreasing energy needs or using renewable energy sources due to the increased value of energy and increases in energy requirements. In addition, the financial burden caused by energy requirements is another factor to consider. Furthermore, energy savings, more environmental system designs, and reduction of consumption costs become important issues. Due to this, certificates are devised with certain determined provisions. Around the world there are many certificates relating to green buildings, but there is no unique global certificate because of countries’ different locations, geographical structures, resources, and so on. In Turkey, there is currently no green building certificate, but the Turkish Green Building Association, established in 2007, continues its studies into developing such a unique certificate.
In Turkey, green building studies have grown rapidly in the aviation sector. In this sector “Directorate General of Civil Aviation” awards companies “green airport” and “green aviation company” titles according to their environmental studies. In our study, we attempt to analyze green airport and green aviation company terms in respect of Turkish companies that have Green Company official titles. The introduction deals with the theoretical background concerning green building, green airport, green aviation company, and so on. The following section gives information about Turkish green aviation companies and their studies related to becoming green companies. In the conclusion section, the studies that have been conducted by aviation companies and problems of the processes are considered.
KeywordsGreen buildings Green aviation Green airports Energy Green certificates—licenses Green building approach Turkish aviation sector Turkey Green building certificate Green licenses Istanbul Antalya Vehicle efficiency LEED Transportation Renewable
We would like to thank the following aviation companies for their contributions and hard work toward building this new study: TAV Istanbul Terminal Operations Corporation; Turkish Technic Incorporated; ATM Airport Construction and Management Incorporated; and Fraport IC Ictas Antalya Airport Terminal Investment and Management Incorporation.
- 7.Kibert C (2008) Sustainable construction: green building design and delivery. Wiley, UKGoogle Scholar
- 8.Dogru M (2012) Yesil Binaların Butuncul Enerji Verimliligi Yaklasimi Nedir? http://www.tesisat.com.tr/yayin/181/yesil-binalarin-butuncul-enerji-verimliligi-yaklasiminedir_4382.html. Accessed 9 Aug 2012Google Scholar
- 10.Erten D (2012) Turkiye Için Yesil Bina Sertifikasi ve Onerileri http://www.yesilbina.com/Turkiye-Icin-Yesil-Bina-Sertifikasi-ve-Onerileri_a363.html Accessed 9 Aug 2012Google Scholar
- 12.Katz A (2012) LEED-certified building stock swells to two billion square feet worldwide http://www.usgbc.org/Docs/News/2billionsqft_Aug2012.pdf. Accessed 9 Aug 2012Google Scholar
- 13.Erten D, Henderson K, Kobas B (2009) Uluslararasi Yesil Bina Sertifikalarina Bir Bakis: Turkiye icin bir Yesil Bina Sertifikasi Olusturmak icin Yol Haritasi. Fifth international conference on construction in the 21st centuryGoogle Scholar
- 14.Cevre Dostu Yesil Binalar Dernegi (2011) Cevre Dostu Yesil Binalar Dernegi www.cedbik.org. Accessed 9 Aug 2012
- 16.Sivil Havacilik Genel Mudurlugu (2009) Havaalanlarinda Devrim Proje: Yesil Havaalani (Green Airport) http://web.shgm.gov.tr/kurumsal.php?page=haberler&id=1&haber_id=755. Accessed 9 Aug 2012Google Scholar
- 17.Sivil Havacilik Genel Mudurlugu (2010) Yesil Havaalani Projesine Iliskin Yeni Duzenlemeler http://web.shgm.gov.tr/kurumsal.php?page=duyurular&id=1&haber_id=1508. Accessed 9 Aug 2012Google Scholar
- 18.TAV Airports Holding Co. (2012) http://www.tav.aero/tr-TR/Sayfalar/default.aspx Accessed 9 Aug 2012
- 19.Turkish Technic Inc. (2012) http://www.turkishtechnic.com/. Accessed 9 Aug 2012
- 20.ATM Dalaman Airport (2012) http://www.atmairport.aero/. Accessed 9 Aug 2012
- 21.Fraport IC Ictas Antalya Havalimani Terminal Yatirim ve Isletmeciligi A. S. (2012) http://www.aytport.com/tr/index_1.asp. Accessed 9 Aug 2012