The Rise and Fall of Total Information Awareness
President Ronald Reagan had long recognized the vital importance of communications technology and information sharing as he said in June 1989 after having served two terms as the President of the United States, "Information is the oxygen of the modern age".
KeywordsTerrorist Attack Privacy Protection Defense Advance Research Project Agency Defense Advance Research Project Agency Information Awareness
- 1.Associated Press. Reagan Urges ‘Risk’ on Gorbachev : Soviet Leader May Be Only Hope for Change, He Says. [Online] Los Angeles Times, June 13, 1989. http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-13/news/mn-2300_1_soviets-arms-control-iron-curtain.
- 2.Office of Science and Technology Policy. Obama Administration Unveils “Big Data” Initiative: Announces $200 Million In New R&D Investments. [Online] Executive Office of the President, March 29, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/big_data_press_release.pdf.
- 3.The New York Times. IRAN-CONTRA REPORT; Arms, Hostages and Contras: How a Secret Foreign Policy Unraveled. [Online] The New York Times, November 19, 1987. http://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/19/world/iran-contra-report-arms-hostages-contras-secret-foreign-policy-unraveled.html.
- 4.Reagan, Ronald. Address to the Nation on Iran-Contra. [Online] University of Virginia Miller Center, March 4, 1987. http://millercenter.org/scripps/archive/speeches/detail/3414.
- 5.Shenon, Philip. North, Poindexter and 2 Others Indicted on Iran-Contra Fraud and Theft Charges. [Online] The New York Times, March 17, 1988. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/17/world/north-poindexter-and-2-others-indicted-on-iran-contra-fraud-and-theft-charges.html?pagewanted=all.
- 6.Greenhouse, Linda. Supreme Court Roundup; Iran-Contra Appeal Refused by Court. [Online] The New York Times, December 8, 1992. http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/08/us/supreme-court-roundup-iran-contra-appeal-refused-by-court.html.
- 7.Harris, Shane. Lightning Rod. [Online] Government Executive, July 15, 2004. http://www.govexec.com/magazine/features/2004/07/lightning-rod/17199/.
- 8.DARPA. Genoa. [Online] mirror of decommissioned Federal government site www.darpa.mil/iao/Genoa.htm. http://infowar.net/tia/www.darpa.mil/iao/Genoa.htm.
- 9.Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. History. [Online] Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. [Cited: November 29, 2012.] http://www.darpa.mil/about/history/history.aspx.
- 10.Waldrop, Mitchell M. No, This Man Invented The Internet. [Online] Forbes, November 27, 2000. http://www.forbes.com/asap/2000/1127/105.html.
- 11.Van Atta, Richard. 50 Years of Bridging the Gap. [Online] Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. [Cited: November 29, 2012.] http://www.darpa.mil/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2553.
- 12.Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. First 50 Years. [Online] Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. [Cited: November 29, 2012.] http://www.darpa.mil/About/History/First_50_Years.aspx.
- 13.Dugan, Regina. Regina Dugan: From mach-20 glider to humming bird drone. [Online] TED, March 2012. http://www.ted.com/talks/regina_dugan_from_mach_20_glider_to_humming_bird_drone.html.
- 14.Belasco, Amy. Total Information Awareness Programs: Funding, Composition, and Oversight Issues. [Online] The Air University, March 21, 2003. http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rl31786.pdf.
- 15.Tether, Tony. Statement by Dr. Tony Tether to the U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services. [Online] U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services, April 10, 2002. http://www.armed-services.senate.gov/statemnt/2002/April/Tether.pdf.
- 16.Markoff, John. Pentagon Plans a Computer System That Would Peek at Personal Data of Americans. [Online] The New York Times, November 9, 2002. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/politics/09COMP.html?pagewanted=all.
- 17.Hertzberg, Hendrik. Too Much Information. [Online] The New Yorker, December 9, 2002. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2002/12/09/021209ta_talk_hertzberg.
- 18.Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. INFORMATION AWARENESS Solicitation Number: BAA02-08. [Online] Federal Business Opportunities, March 21, 2002. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=82cd202bb8a0528c389f11d00dad8514&_cview=0.
- 19.Electronic Privacy Information Center. Report to Congress regarding the Terrorism Information Awarenss. [Online] May 20, 2003. http://epic.org/privacy/profiling/tia/may03_report.pdf.
- 20.Manjoo, Farhad. Total Information Awareness: Down, but not out. [Online] Salon, January 29, 2003. http://www.salon.com/2003/01/29/tia_privacy/.
- 21.The Economist. Caught in the net. [Online] The Economist, January 23, 2003. http://www.economist.com/node/1534249.
- 22.Tether, Tony. Statement by Dr. Tony Tether to the U.S. House of Representatives House Armed Services Committee. [Online] DARPA, March 27, 2003. www.darpa.mil/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=1778.
- 23.Koch, Kathleen. White House downplays Newsweek report. [Online] CNN, June 3, 2002. http://articles.cnn.com/2002-06-03/politics/white.house.newsweek_1_bin-laden-operatives-qaeda-bush-officials.
- 24.Gregory, Mack. Total Information Awareness Program (TIA) System Description Document (SDD). [Online] Hicks and Associates, Inc, July 19, 2002. http://epic.org/privacy/profiling/tia/tiasystemdescription.pdf.
- 25.Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. INFORMATION AWARENESS Solicitation Number: BAA03-23. [Online] Federal Business Opportunities, April 15, 2003. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=2c05fdcf3acfc3ceb88b1edce32ecb7c&tab=core&_cview=1.
- 26.Information Awareness Proposer Information Pamphlet. [Online] Federal Business Opportunities, April 15, 2003. https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=fb42bb6199c56c7c465308f4344826fc.
- 27.Hulse, Carl. THREATS AND RESPONSES: PLANS AND CRITICISMS; Pentagon Prepares A Futures Market On Terror Attacks. [Online] July 29, 2003. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/29/us/threats-responses-plans-criticisms-pentagon-prepares-futures-market-terror.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm.
- 28.Looney, Robert. DARPA’s Policy Analysis Market for Intelligence: Outside the Box or Off the Wall? [Online] Strategic Insights, September 2003. http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/nps/pam/si_pam.htm.
- 29.Scheiber, Noam. 2003: THE 3rd ANNUAL YEAR IN IDEAS; Futures Markets in Everything. [Online] The New York Times, December 14, 2003. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/magazine/2003-the-3rd-annual-year-in-ideas-futures-markets-in-everything.html.
- 30.Starr, Barbara. Pentagon folds bets on terror. [Online] CNNMoney, July 29, 2003. http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/29/news/terror_futures/?cnn=yes.
- 31.Poindexter, John. John M. Pondexter Resignation Letter. [Online] The Washington Post, August 12, 2003. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/transcripts/poindexterletter.pdf.
- 32.U.S. Congress. Committee Reports. 108th Congress (2003–2004). House Report 108–283. [Online] The Library of Congress, September 2003. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&sid=cp108alJsu&refer=&r_n=hr283.108&db_id=108&item=&&sid=cp108alJsu&r_n=hr283.108&dbname=cp108&&sel=TOC_309917.