Psychosomatic Aspects of Fibromyalgia
In the field of psychosomatic medicine, there are many patients who report muscle and joint pain. In some patients who report chronic general pain and autonomic dysfunction, the underlying pathological condition is difficult to understand. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder characterized by long-lasting generalized pain of the fibromuscular system and has historically been studied as a model of chronic pain.
KeywordsFatigue Depression Serotonin Monoamine Acetaminophen
Our research was supported in part by the grants from Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare for Health Science Research. Authors would like to thank Toshio Matsuno, Ayako Aoki, Mitsuko Isii, Shuichiro Maruoka, and Katsuhiro Miura for technical assistance.
- 1.Murakami, M., Takei, M., Matsukawa, Y., et al. (2004). Psychosomatic approach for fibromyalgia. Clinical Rheumatology and Related Research, 16, 362–367.Google Scholar
- 2.Murakami, M., Matsuno, T., & Koike, K. (2005). Research on the establishment of disease concept of fibromyalgia syndrome (pp. 162–164). Annual Report on Assigned Research for Health Science Research Grants from the Ministry of Health, Tokyo: Labour and Welfare.Google Scholar
- 3.Japan College of Fibromyalgia investigation. (2011). Practice Guidelines for Fibromyalgia 2011. Tokyo: Nihon Iji Shimpo.Google Scholar
- 4.Japan College of Fibromyalgia investigation. (2013). Practice Guidelines for Fibromyalgia 2013. Tokyo: Nihon Iji Shimpo.Google Scholar
- 7.Matsumoto, Y., Maeda, S., Tamakoshi, A., et al. (2005). Study on elucidation of the clinical epidemiology of fibromyalgia in Japan (pp. 156–158). Annual Report on Assigned Research for Health Science Research Grants from the Ministry of Health, Tokyo: Labor and Welfare.Google Scholar
- 11.Murakami, M., Matsuno, T., & Kim, W. (2009). How to evaluate the pain of fibromyalgia syndrome: FMS as a typical model of chronic pain. Japanese Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, 49, 893–902.Google Scholar
- 17.Lesley, M., & Arnold, M. D. (2008). Management of fibromyalgia and comorbid psychiatric disorders. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 69(Suppl. 2), 14–19.Google Scholar
- 18.Murakami, M., Matsno, T., Kim, W., et al. (2010). Fibromyalgia and negative emotion. Japanese Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, 50, 1157–1163.Google Scholar
- 22.Toru, M., Nakane, Y., & Komiyama, M. (1994). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioral disorders (p. 170). Tokyo: Igaku Shoin.Google Scholar
- 23.Takahashi, S., Ono, Y., & Someya, T. (1995). Quick reference to the diagnostic criteria from DSM-IV. Tokyo: Igaku Shoin.Google Scholar
- 33.Murakami, M. (2008). Therapeutic evidence of Kampo treatment for psychosomatic diseases and stress related diseases. Journal of Japanese Association of Oriental Psychosomatic Medicine, 23, 100–102.Google Scholar