The Financial History and Near Future of Integrated Behavioral Health Care
Most programs that integrate physical and behavioral health struggle with financial sustainability. The growth and development of mechanisms for supporting grass-roots integration highlight the creativity and sheer will of communities, states, and health care systems to innovate their way to health. And now, for the first time, national-level funding initiatives have begun to directly or indirectly support integration. This chapter will highlight funding mechanisms at the state, foundation, payer, and federal levels. It will provide a historical and future-oriented primer of the various mechanisms for advancing and sustaining integration.
KeywordsObesity Depression Insurance Coverage Income Assure
- AETNA Inc. (2012) Depression in primary care program. Retrieved April 3, 2012, from http://www.aetna.com/healthcare-professionals/documents-forms/depression-program.pdf
- Affordable Care Act (ACA). (2010). About the law. Retreived from http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/healthcare-overview.
- Butler, M., Kane, R. L., McAlpine, D., Kathol, R. G., Fu, S. S., Hagedorn, H., & Wilt, T. J. (2008). Integration of mental health/substance abuse and primary care (AHRQ Publication No. 09-E003). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.Google Scholar
- Buyers Health Care Action Group. (2012). Clinic quality: Minnesota bridges to excellence. Retrieved April 16, 2012, from http://bhcag.com/initiatives/clinic-quality/.
- Collaborative Family Healthcare Association. (2012). History of the Collaborative Family Healthcare Association. Retrieved April 2, 2012, from http://www.cfha.net/?page=History.
- Kautz, C., Mauch, D., & Smith, S. A. (2008). Reimbursement of mental health services in primary care settings ((HHS Pub. No. SMA-08-4324)). Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, J. F. (1963). Special message to the Congress on Mental Illness and Mental Retardation, Washington, DC. Retrieved April 4, 2012, from http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=9546#axzz1qolIcUcC.
- LifeSynch. (2011). LifeSynch mission: Changing health behaviors, improving lives. Retrieved April 2, 2012, from http://www.lifesynch.com/about/company_information/.
- MacArthur Foundation. (2012). About us. Retrieved April 2, 2012, from http://www.macfound.org/about/.
- Mauch, D., Pozniak, A., & Pustell, M. (2011). State and Federal Standards for Mental Health Coverage. HHS Publication No. (SMA) Pending. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.Google Scholar
- Minnesota Department of Health. (2009). Community benefit provided by non profit health plans. Retrieved April 27, 2012, from http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/hpsc/hep/publications/legislative/hlthplancommbenefit.pdf.
- National Association of Community Health Centers & Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2010). Medicaid/medicare. Retrieved April 24, 2012, from http://www.integration.samhsa.gov/financing/medicaid-medicare.
- Peek, C.J. (2008). Planning care in the clinical, operational, and financial worlds. In R. Kessler and D. Stafford (Eds.), Collaborative Medicine Case Studies: Evidence in Practice (pp. 25–38). NY, NY: Springer.Google Scholar
- Rosenbaum, S., Zakheim, M. H., Leifer, J., Golde, M.D., Schulte, J.M., & Margulies, R. (2011). Assessing and addressing legal barriers to the clinical integration of community health centers and other community providers. The Commonwealth Fund. Retrieved http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Publications/Fund-Reports/2011/Jul/Clinical-Integration.aspx.
- Takach, M., Purington, K., & Osius, E. (2010). A tale of two systems: A look at state efforts to integrate primary care and behavioral health in safety net settings. Washington, DC: National Academy for State Health Policy.Google Scholar
- The Colorado Health Foundation. (2012). The Colorado blueprint for promoting integrated care sustainability. Retrieved April 27, 2012, from http://www.coloradohealth.org/studies.aspx.
- The Nicholson Foundation. (2011). Improving healthcare for vulnerable populations: Executive summary. Retrieved April 2, 2012, from http://www.thenicholsonfoundation-newjersey.org/programs/sub/.
- TriWest Group. (2003). The status of mental health care in Colorado. Denver, CO: Mental Health Funders Collaborative.Google Scholar
- Unützer, J., Katon, W., Callahan, C. M., Williams, J. W., Jr., Hunkeler, E., Harpole, L., et al. (2002). Collaborative-care management of late-life depression in the primary care setting: A randomized controlled trial. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 288, 2836–2845.CrossRefGoogle Scholar