Guided Local Search for Optimal GPON/FTTP Network Design
Fibre optic access networks are of increased popularity among network operators. Many types of fibre network are being deployed globally to satisfy the ever increasing users bandwidth requirements. The rate of deployments of such networks is expected to increase in coming years, moreover this requires cost efficient, reliable and robust network designs. Despite the relative complex structure of these networks, designs are mostly done manually, thus design quality is not optimal. In this paper we will introduce and propose a tree based modelling scheme and will show how the metaheuristic search method Guided Local Search can be used to automate the design of FTTP/GPON networks. The design optimisation will mainly focus on reducing the deployment cost i.e finding the optimal location, type and quantity of fibre optic equipment in order to reduce the capital expenditure (CAPEX) of such deployment projects. Our proposed model builds a flexible optimisation framework, and results of the GLS algorithm compared to simple local search and Simulated Annealing show consistent optimal results.
KeywordsGuided local search Fibre optic networks Network optimisation Network planning
- 1.Verbrugge S, Casier K, Lannoo B, Van Ooteghem J, Meersman R, Colle D, Demeester P (2008) FTTH deployment and its impact on network maintenance and repair costs. In: 10th anniversary international conference on transparent optical networks ICTON (2008) vol 3 . IEEE, New York, pp 2–5Google Scholar
- 3.Ouali A, Poon K (2011) Optimal design of GPON/FTTH networks using mixed integer linear programming. In: 16th European conference on networks and optical communications (NOC), IEEE, pp 137–140Google Scholar
- 4.Li J, Shen G (2008) Cost minimization planning for passive optical networks. In: OFC/NFOEC 2008–2008 conference on optical fiber communication/national fiber optic engineers conference, pp 1–3, Feb 2008Google Scholar
- 5.Riedl A (1998) A versatile genetic algorithm for network planning. In: Proceedings of EUNICE, vol 98, Citeseer, pp 97–103Google Scholar
- 6.Voudouris C, Tsang E (2003) Guided local search. Handbook of metaheuristics. In: Glover F (ed) Handbook of Metaheuristics. Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp 185–218Google Scholar