Outage Probability Analysis of HANs in Multiuser Downlink Scenario for Smart Grid Communications
Due to the importance of reliable communications in smart grid, this paper evaluates the outage probability of HANs in multiuser downlink scenario. The probability density function (PDF) of the signal to interference and noise ratio (SINR) for each user in the HAN is derived from the amplitude distribution property of the classic indoor Saleh-Valenzuela (S-V) channel. The numerical results are obtained by Monte-Carlo simulation and are furthermore compared with those of ordinary multiuser downlink without interference cancelation and WiFi Direct techniques. The comparisons indicate the by applying these two techniques, the outage performance is greatly improve, namely, the reliability of downlink communications in HANs for smart grid is enhanced.
KeywordsOutage probability Home Area Networks (HANs) Saleh-Valenzuela (S-V) channel Smart Grid Communicaitons
This work was supported by U.S. National Science Foundation under Grant CNS-1116749.
- 2.Ghassemi A, Bavarian S, Lampe L (2010) Cognitive radio for smart grid communications. In: 2010 First IEEE international conference on smart grid communications, Gaithersburg, pp 297–302Google Scholar
- 3.Li Z, Liang Q WiFi direct networks in smart grid application: power consumption and outage performance evaluation. Submitted to IEEE Trans Smart GridGoogle Scholar
- 4.Li Z, Liang Q Performance analysis of multiuser selection scheme in dynamic home area networks for smart grid communications. Submitted to Special Issue of IEEE Trans Smart GridGoogle Scholar
- 8.Tse D, Viswanath P (2004) Fundamentals of wireless communication. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, USAGoogle Scholar
- 9.Wi-Fi Alliance (2010) Wi-Fi for the smart grid. http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge_center_overview.php?docid=4686