A Novel Scheme of Improving 60 GHz Millimeter-Wave System Performance in the Presence of Nonlinear Power Amplifier
Two modulation schemes, namely Single-Carrier (SC), Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM), are widely recommended in the currently undergoing 60 GHz millimeter-wave standard draft IEEE 802.11ad. Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) code is also adopted in the sense of its much better performance in correcting errors comparing the other FEC codes. However, OFDM system is extremely vulnerable to the nonlinear distortion caused by the 60 GHz power amplifier (PA) nonlinear property as a consequence of its significant peak to average ratio (PAPR). In this article, we utilize a promising companding transform (CT) algorithm which is also combined with predistortion scheme, in order to combat the PA nonlinear distortion. Experimental results demonstrate our proposed scheme exhibits much better performance in resisting PA nonlinear distortion, and the new scheme is also easy to implement in practical design of 60 GHz millimeter-wave systems.
KeywordsOFDM Companding transform PA nonlinear predistortion LUT
Supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No.60902046, 60972079) and the Important National Science & Technology Specific Projects of China (Grant No.2011ZX03005-002, 2012ZX03001022).
- 1.L Lily Yang (2009) 60 GHz: opportunity for Gigabit WPAN and WLAN convergence. ACM SIGCOMM Comput Comm Rev 39(1):56–61Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE P802.11 Task Group ad (2010) Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specificationsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Changming Zhang, Zhenyu Xiao, Hao Wu, Lieguang Zeng, Depeng Jin (2011) Performance analysis on the OFDM PHY of IEEE 802.11ad Standard. In: Proceedings of the international conference on computational problem-solving (ICCP), Chengdu, 21–23 Oct 2011, pp 708–713Google Scholar
- 4.Liru Lu, Xin Zhang, Funada R, Chin Sean Sum, Harada H (2011) Selection of modulation and coding schemes of single carrier PHY for 802.11ad Multi-Gigabit mmWave WLAN systems. In: IEEE symposium on computers and communications (ISCC), Kerkyra, June 28–July 1 2011, pp 348–352Google Scholar
- 5.Xin Zhang, Liru Lu, Funada R, Chin-Sean Sum, Harada H (2010) Physical layer design and performance analysis on multi-Gbps millimeter-wave WLAN system. In: IEEE international conference on communication systems (ICCS), Singapore, 17–19 Nov 2010, pp 92–96Google Scholar
- 7.Perahia E, Park M, Stacey R et al (2010) IEEE P802.11 wireless LANs TGad evaluation methodology. IEEE 802.11 TGad Technology Report 09/0296r16, pp 3–5, 9–15Google Scholar
- 8.Lozhkin AN, Nakamura M (2011) A new digital predistorter linearizer for wide band signals. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 22nd international symposium on personal indoor and mobile radio communications (PIMRC), pp 1376–1380Google Scholar