Calibration and Validation Scheme for In Vivo Spectroscopic Imaging of Tissue Oxygenation
The determination of the level of oxygenation in optically accessible tissues using multispectral or hyperspectral imaging (HSI) of oxy- and deoxyhemoglobin has special appeal in clinical work due to its noninvasiveness, ease of use, and capability of providing molecular and anatomical information at near video rates during surgery. In this paper we refer to an example of the use of HSI in monitoring oxygenation of kidneys during partial nephrectomy. In a study using porcine models, it was found that artery-only clamping left the kidney better oxygenated, as opposed to simultaneously clamping the artery and the vein. A subsequent study correlates gradations in blood flow by partial clamping during the surgical procedure with postoperative renal function via assessment of creatinine level. We discuss the various contributions to the uncertainty of the oxygen saturation measured by this remote-sensing imaging technique in medical application.
KeywordsSpectroscopic imaging Tissue oxygenation
The NIST work is funded by the NIST Innovations in Measurement Science Award. The clinical research is funded by the UTSW Dept. of Urology.
- 1.Bearman G, Levenson R (2003) Biological imaging spectroscopy. In: Vo-Dinh T (ed) Biomedical photonics handbook. CRC, Boca Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- 2.Flewelling R (2000) Non-invasive optical monitoring. In: Bronzino JD (ed) The biomedical engineering handbook, 2nd edn. CRC, Boca Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- 4.Zuzak KJ, Schaeberle MD, Gladwin MT et al (2001) Noninvasive determination of spatially resolved and time-resolved tissue perfusion in humans during nitric oxide inhibition and inhalation by use of a visible-reflectance hyperspectral imaging technique. Circulation 104: 2905–2910CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Best SL, Thapa A, Holzer MS et al (2011) Assessment of renal oxygenation during partial nephrectomy using DLP® hyperspectral imaging. Proc SPIE 7932:793202-1-8Google Scholar
- 9.Barnes PY, Early EA, Parr AC (1998) Spectral reflectance. Natl Inst Stand Technol. Special Publication 250-48Google Scholar
- 10.Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (2008) Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement. JCGM100:2008. http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_100_2008_E.pdf. Accessed 15 Jun 2011
- 11.Martens HA, Naes T (1989) Multivariate calibration. Wiley, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- 12.ASTM E1655-05 (2005) Standard practices for infrared multivariate quantitative analysisGoogle Scholar
- 14.Allen DA, Rice JP, Wehner E et al (2011) An examination of spectral diversity of medical scenes for hyperspectral projection. Proc SPIE 7932:793205-1-6Google Scholar